Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Trying Again!!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Suzy2

Trying Again!!

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi Everyone!
    It's been a very long time since I visited but today I hit rock bottom yet again and made a decision to return to the only place where I achieved some success. That was about 3 years ago where I abstained from the pokies for 3 months!! Since then I have barely just existed! Wasted more money, wasted my life, caused untold stress and grief to myself and today I have arrived at that place where I want freedom more than I want to play pokies!!
    I lost my home to the pokies while grieving for my son who had a terminal illness!! I watched him die slowly for 23 years but what I didn't realise was that I was dying inside too!!
    Since his death 9 years ago I have barely kept my head above water. I managed to pay rent and bills however 7 weeks ago on Xmas day I had a massive seizure resulting in 2 compression fractures to my spine. I was banned from driving so therefore Cld not work so I have had to terminate the lease. I am now listening bing between my son and daughter until The can drive again hopefully end of March. I have been in terrible pain daily however I still managed to catch buses to throw away what little money I have had!!
    Today I compared my situation to an obese person wanting to lose weight!! I wld be the first to say 'Mate! If you want to get thin then you have to stop eating! I said to myself! 'You can't have money and any quality of life if you continue to give it away!! Something clicked and here I am once again beaten but with hope in my heart that I can beat this soul destroying demon!!!
    I need to be back sharing with others who are suffering just like me!! It's good to be back. Day 1 👍👍

Suzy
    2 x
    Springhope17

Re: Trying Again!!

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 am

Hi Suzy,

I am sorry to hear about all the loss you have experienced.

I wish you every success in overcoming ur gambling addiction.

You CAN DO this.

I found finding a good gambling cousellor can really help, mine is amazing and has been so supportive.

Take care!
    1 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Re: Trying Again!!

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 am

Hi Suzy,

Its Sherpa09 here (one of the moderators on the forum). It sounds as though things have been really tough for you of late and sorry to hear about your loss. Well done on reaching out, the first step back to begin to find the right supports is key to the recovery process. If you're needing further ongoing support, please feel free to contact gamblers helpline on 1800 858 858. When contacting gamblers help over the phone, you would be able to speak to a trained problem gambling counselor, who would be able to help unpack what might be going on for you right now. Again well done on seeking support on the forum and look forward to future posts from you, take care.

Sherpa09.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”