Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A with a gambling counsellor - what's stopping you from seeking support?
  • GA Boyfriend

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    Domino8

GA Boyfriend

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:57 am

Hello everyone,

I have contemplated posting for a while, but am at a point where I could really use some guidance from anyone who has been through a similar situation with a partner with GA. I am a 26 year old female. My boyfriend of a year has a gambling addiction, which I have known for the last 6 months. He has gambled for about 10 years, and although I have known for a while now I have only recently come to realise how much this addiction has taken over his life. Because of his gambling he has no savings, takes out fast money loans, has distanced himself from his family, and has never been able to love someone because of how gambling dulls his emotions.
    I care for him deeply and want to support him, and as some of you will know when you are involved it is hard to remove yourself from your emotions despite logic. However is it naive and ignorant to stay?
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Re: GA Boyfriend

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 am

Hello @Domino8 , Welcome to the Forums!

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators.
    Good on you for reaching out.
    I think you'd find that many other members have or would've had similar experiences to yourself.
    Sounds like his gambling has become quite toxic to his life and also having an impact on you and the relationship at the same time.
    It can be a tough position for you to be in.
    Is he ready to change? Has he expressed concerns for his own gambling ways? Has he said he would like some help?
    These are all very important as that can determine how much he wants to change and improve his life at this point. That way he can actively seek out help.
    Meanwhile, try to engage in a bit of self-care for yourself at this time .

KInd regards,,
    Calvin
    1 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”