Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Decided to seek help finally

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Cam_aro888

Decided to seek help finally

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 am

Hi all, been going down hill for 5 years since my marriage break up left me with a huge tax debt, credit cards ect. which I thought were paid, my fault for not checking, but trusted her . But it got spent somewhere. I earn decent money but the amount I have to outlay each week leaves me with such a small amount leftover I find myself gambling on the pokies to try an have a extra to actually live. Sometimes I win an just put it all back anyway trying to win more, the result is always the same, walk out with nothing, I know it's wrong but I find myself doing it over an over again. Need help to break this cycle , any Advive appreciated thanks
    0 x
    pamela

Re: Decided to seek help finally

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi and welcome..its a tough thing to give up ..but wanting help to give up is a great start..you know you cant win when playing them..I suggest you try and find something else to occupy your time and mind..we all have something we use as an excuse to play the pokies..but once you stop..sometimes the reasons we gamble dont seen so insurmountable and once you stop the habit .life has a way of turning out
    Good luck and dont give up
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Hey there,

Don't worry we are all in that boat knowing it's wrong and we shouldn't be doing it, and then going back time and time again after numerous times saying to ourselves "never, ever doing that again, that's it last time" god If I had a dollar for every time I said that.

I totally get gambling the little money left over to try get ahead, it's tough when majority of your income goes on Bill's and debts. It may take time, but things will get better financially if you don't gamble at all.

You said you have been going down hill since your marriage break up, perhaps you need to completely deal with that and perhaps talk to someone about it. It's understandable for such an event to send you on a downward spiral. But you need to move forward.

Do you have family you can confide in? Perhaps get a loved one or close friend to help you control money.
    That's the main thing I advise, only thing that worked for me. All I can say is you have to be strong, life is so amazing without gambling and I'm only 40 days in.

You can do it, all the best.
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am

Hi @Cam_aro888 , welcome to the forums!

I'm Calvin one of the facilitators.

Many people can find themselves in that spiral where you feel theres a loss of control of impulses etc.
    Sometimes when life events happen, such as a breakup of a relationship, it can cause people to spiral, which can than influence the gambling behavior.

Become aware of the urges/triggers that arise and also your trigger times. Then from there try to work out, what other things you can do instead, think of the consequences of acting on your impulse to gamble.
    Remember that you have the power of Choice, a choice on how you react and respond to your urges, the pokies or any other type of gambling behavior.

Have you considered speaking with a gambling counsellor or financial counsellor for further support? Possibly considering self-exclusion ?
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”