Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Starting out again

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    AmandaB

RE: Starting out again

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:43 am

I still not gambling Yeah Yeah Yeah!
    Enjoying some family time with my boy.
    Had a good long look at my bank accounts and have 2,900 on one credit card that I use and a residue of 5,200 on one that was in an interest free transfer account that I noticed has just started accruing interest charges. I will have to transfer that again to get 0% balance transfer. I might up the automatic payments on that. I am really hoping for 2014 to be far more accountable with my money and use it smartly. Clearing debit is my first priority. I plan to quit smoking so that extra $50 a week can go towards paying off the credit card.

I am looking at buying a house to live in early in 2014 (already have a cheapy investment prop). I know money will be tight and I am thinking I might need to sit down a do a proper budget. There seems to be so many incidental expenses that I don't take into consideration and think I have more than I do.(I used to tell myself that when gambling on a payday)

Hope you all have a great 2014 with some financial sanity restored (gambling really is financial insanity I have decided)

xx
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:40 am

The unexpected happened. A friend of my housemates friends came over after winning 2k on the pokies. He said he put $70 into one and nothing and then went to another one that just kept on paying. I must admit when he told us I got quite excited and secretly wanted to go myself in search of that elusive machine that is ready to pay.

Best not to keep secret the desires to go gambling so I will post here. The reality is I cannot remember finding a machine that kept on paying, I found it hard to get a machine that would give a free game, even after playing for a while. Overall a couple of spurts before it turns and will take it all back. My reality is I will spend and spend in hope of getting something back. I would withdraw more money and if I had got the money I had withdrawn as a payout I would have felt like I at least was getting something back. I have often thought I should just withdraw money and stick it in my pocket as a surer return (but never did).

The other thing I should keep in mind is this guy is a pensioner so he was risking about a quarter of his weekly income for an hour of entertainment.

Ok so hopefully that delusion of winning is out of my head now
    0 x
    AmandaB

Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:57 am

Thought about going to the pokies yesterday. My housemate said she was going to the club for a meal and put $100 in the pokies ( and leave her cash card home). Somehow it seemed reasonable, I was tempted but said no. I think at this stage everyday counts, every time I am tempted and don't go makes me stronger. I now have remnants of songs in my head instead of the damn pokie sounds that I used to hear. I was thinking about last year and I think I managed 3 months off them, so I am going for gold.

Btw she ended up not going after all.

I am still drinking too much but as I am planning to give up smoking for 2014 I will need to cut that back as well to help me.

Cheers
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Hope you had a Merry Christmas Amanda! And HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!! I'm looking forward to bringing in the new year over a long lazy dinner.... Wishing you all a safe new year and fulfilling year ahead!
    0 x
    AmandaB

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:55 am

Blew it last night. Time to start again.

I am trying to quit smoking and cut back to 3 cigs on 1st Jan and had a bit more agitation than normal after popping a patch on yesterday. I am not drinking to help with stopping. I had thought about going to the club during the day and thought that I would. I managed to talk myself out and go to the supermarket and buy a couple of items that need refrigeration. On the drive home I saw a sign for a RSL I haven't been to and it would have taken 2 secs of thinking and then my car was headed there. Spent $700, the last 200 was trying to win something back, but still lost, no surprises there. Noticed it was in line with a payday even though I didn't know my balance amounts I figured I would have enough to work it out.

After I left I noticed that my heart was beating faster and that maybe I liked that. The rush of adrenaline without having to do any physical exertion. I tried to think of other ways I could get a quick "thrill" and came up blank. I did think it was a little like the game where you bang the gopher on the head and another one pops out of a hole. Drinking, smokes, gambling. I have managed to give up all three before but would like to keep drinking (not excessively).

At them moment I am thinking I might ask a friend to mind my cashcard and just use my credit card(maybe block cash advances as I know I can get tricky). Well I almost made it a month but I am going to keep on trying this time from 3rd Jan.
    0 x
    AmandaB

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:04 am

The urges didn't leave me about that big club so I went on Sat to get it out of my system, didn't drink as it was a bit of a drive home but pulled out 800 from the bank almost blew it all until the last 2 machines saved my arse and I banked $650 back into my account that needed the money in it. On Sunday I gave a friend my cashcard and I have enough cash to last me the month. First day of not gambling now is the 5th Jan. I have had thoughts of going but can't now. I am planning a holiday with my family on a cruise and that will need my attention to pay for. Starting a Zumba class tonight so that should break up the working week. I am down to smoking 1 or 2 a day with the patches and hope that will end the smoking eventually which will give me a bit more to pay off the credit card.

It is good for me to write all this here as I can read it back later. Hope everyone is going well
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for keeping in touch and sharing with the community how you are going. When you post your story I think it not only helps you but it is a generous act to allow others to bare witness to your story.

I noticed you had an insight about gambling being about an adrenaline rush and that you wondered if some other activity could meet that need..... and then in the next post you mentioned Zumba.... how did the class go.... did it meet that need to have that feeling of a rush?

Noah
    0 x
    AmandaB

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:23 am

Hi Noah,
    Zumba was a lot of fun. Felt like I had been to a night club and home by 8pm with no hangover hard on the old knees and a bit sore but i will be going back. Realised it has been a very long time since I felt physical exertion and those endorphins I actually booked the cruise for the June school holidays and I am looking forward to that. I needed to have something on the horizon to look forward to and something to break the week up with.

This is the first time I have given someone my cash card, of course I could go to the bank and withdraw,could get a cash advance from my credit card but less likely to go to a club unplanned and do this. Time will tell if I outsmart myself, but I hope not.

What I really need to do is find an accountant or financial advisor to work out what my budget actually is,(and do my 2013 return) I am far more aware of my financial status than ever but lots of room for improvement. I am wanting to buy a house this year and want my money to work smart (pokies are not a smart use of money).

Pulled right back on the drinking to help me stop the smoking, so far so good down to one a day and had one day without any.

cheers
    0 x
    andrew6

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Amanda,

How are you doing today?
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 am

I am going good thanks Andrew. Nothing really new to report, so far so good. Knowing I have a limited amount of cash to last me has helped when I have thoughts of going to a club.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”