Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Desperate need to make a change

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    ZD1234

Desperate need to make a change

Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:20 am

Hi All,

This is my first time ever posting in something like this and I'm not too sure how to go about it or what I expect. It's a cry for help I guess

I'm 32 and have a life long gambling problem. I've lived here for 3 years moving from the UK. In the UK I had huge gambling issues. Completely addicted,in debt with pay day loans and extremely bad mental health to the point of daily thoughts of suicide. My partner knew about this and thankfully we never had a joint account and she supported me and we moved here.

Fast forward 3 years and here we are in Australia,own our house and have very recently had a baby. After 3 years of having my gambling under control and not even thinking about it I have recently hit a big relapse.

Recently i signed up to a bunch of new betting accounts and got numerous free bets. I of course won a lot of bets recently and I think you know where this is going. I have been back to my old ways and have been gambling on everything and anything multiple times per day.I of course over the last few days have started to lose a lot of money and know that i have no control and worse is to come.

I am reaching out for help as i know my situation WILL get worse if i don't do something. My current situation will seem like nothing compared to many many which is why I am crying out for help now before it does. Myself and my partner have a joint account which has most of our finances in it.I have not touched any of this for gambling and would desperately like to keep it that way. My own personal account i have been using I have lost all that I won and a large percentage of what I have and really need to stop as I know what I am capable of. MY partner does not know and I feel like no damage will be done if I can just stop but I do have to stop now.

Any advice,or help would be highly appreciated. Again I know my problems may seem small but I want to stop this before it gets too serious. All my gambling is online. Does anyone know if Theres is a such a thing where I can ban myself from every gambling site in Australia?
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Re: Desperate need to make a change

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:26 pm

Ok so it's a reccuring cycle, when I get out of hand I treat myself like a child, I say " you've been a NAUGHTY boy Fabio, I'm going to call sports bet and tell them you have a gambling problem"...and that's what I do. If you ring up your gambling establishments and tell them you have a gambling problem, it's their duty of care to cancel your account. I've got accounts across quite a few betting agencys, all cancelled. Mate of mine has gone through all of them, there's no more to sign up to :D lol

Anyways tackle it head on. Relapse is a part of it, and I think back to what lovley cat lady wrote, something like.....its not how we fall that defines us, it's how we get up that defines us. So grow a pair and ring up sportsbet or whoever it is and tell them you've got a problem.
    4 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Printemps

Re: Desperate need to make a change

Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 pm

@ZD1234 it can be really disheartening falling back into an old patter, but as @Damaged_Armour says, lapses and relapses happen. The words of @Lovely Cat Lady are really important to keep in mind here. You can ban yourself from the apps, you can also use a service called GamBan to stop yourself accessing websites or other gambling apps. I would also recommenced calling Gambler's Helpline on 1800 858 858 as they offer 24/7 counselling support. They also can help you with self-exclusion from venues and other supports in your area.

Just keep in mind that you have beat this before and you can get it again. Just take it one day at a time.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”