Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Printemps

Re: New here? Change makers introduce yourself here!

Sat May 29, 2021 2:16 pm

Welcome our new member @Self Help 101 , This forum is a space to share your journey with gambling addiction and recovery, connect with others who understand the journey and to share any tips or tricks that you've found useful! :o
    0 x
    TheTiges

Sun May 30, 2021 2:20 pm

Welcome to our newest members @Mezz, @Zigbos, @Jojo87, @Hollymonster, @Eman, @kovu and @GL81!

Please feel free to post an intro about yourselves, let us know what has brought you to the forums and what are you hoping to find on here. Whatever your goals, we're here to support you.

I highly recommend having a look at the Success Stories and the 100 Day Challenge.

:);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 31, 2021 11:53 am

Welcome to our newest members @bsm1994, @User 60a77884a22eb and @Lexington!

We would love to hear what has brought you to the forums and if you have any goals in joining too that we can support you with.

Please feel free to post and intro about yourselves.

Looking forward to seeing you around in the forums. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Welcome to our newest member @Rm89!

Please let us know what have brought you to the forums and if you've got any goals in joining we can help you with.

Feel free to post and intro of yourself by clicking 'Post reply' at the bottom on this page.

Looking forward to hearing your story.
    :)
    0 x
    asilrah

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:03 pm

I am a 44yo mum of 8, 5 left home and 3 teenagers. I have a wonderful partner, but he doesn't understand addiction. I got caught out late last year after blowing our house deposit on pokies, started seeing a counsellor but haven't stopped gambling, even though I tell my partner I have stopped. Just been on a girls weekend with a friend and blown all my money as well as my rent. I need to stop this. Thinking I need to come clean to my partner, even if he does leave me after I tell the truth. Looking for support and ideas on how to stop.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi @asilrah,

Welcome to the forums! In terms of support, you've come to the right place. Here you'll find many other people that have been going through similar experiences to yours. Something you could try out here in the forums is the 100 Day Challenge.

I'm really sorry to hear you're in a difficult situation, both blowing all your money including rent and facing the decision of whether to come clean to your partner or not despite the consequences. Do you play pokies only in venues or also in your phone? Have you considered self-exclusion from venues? Do you think this is something you could do? How long have you been seeing your counsellor? Has it provided you with strategies such as breathing exercises that can help with urges?

Regarding ideas on how to stop, I recommend you go through the Making a change section and the Change strategies post. Regarding your partner, many partners here in the For Friends and Family section have recommended The Love Over Addiction Podcast.

Please reach out at anytime, we're here for you.
    0 x
    Rm89

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm

Hi
    I’ve only been here for a day but already feel like a weight has been lifted by reading other posts and the sense of community.
    I’ve got some struggles and in time hope to open up and share and help others. Thanks for the support.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi @Rm89.

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on writing your first posts on here! :D

I'm really happy you're already benefiting from going through some other posts. They say "a problem shared is a problem halved". What do you think?

All in time, only you will know when you're ready to share a bit more of your story. All I can say is you'll find support and zero judgement here. :);
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:21 am

Welcome to our newest members @Owl83, @Janey Dixon and @khan!

Please let us know what have brought you to the forums and if you've got any goals in joining we can help you with.

Feel free to post and intro of yourselves by clicking 'Post reply' at the bottom on this page.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.
    :);
    0 x
    Printemps

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 am

Welcome to our newest member @joshbede
    This is a space to share you experience with gambling addiction and recovery, and to connect with others who also have lived experience. You can share any tiips you've found useful and share support with others who are working through recovery.

You might like to check out some of our threads, like the 100 Day Challenge or our Success Stories section

Looking forward to seeing you around the forums!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”