Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Printemps

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:21 pm

@Menz199 getting out into the sunshine and doing some photography is a great way to spend the day!

Hearing the positivity and optimism in your post is incredible. I really like how you're breaking things down into small goals, like currently working on long term finances, with the eventual goal of a holiday. That helps give your goals some structure and reasoning, but also doesn't set too much pressure on yourself, or set up any totally unreasonable challenges.

A new job is a great opportunity to push yourself a little bit out of your comfort zone when it comes to social anxiety. You can maybe look at it as, "new job will give me an opportunity to meet new people, which will help me build my confidence up." It might be a bit challenging at first, but it really sounds like you're in a good mindset to tackle this change, and recognise that it will have benefits in the long run!

The fact that you're here, 5 weeks down the line, ready to smash these goals, and having clear plans in mind is amazing! Please don't apologise, I'm so happy that you feel comfortable sharing everything here. All of these things are connected, and it seems like over the past 5 weeks you've been able to reflect on how gambling was really impacting you, and now have a really fantastic set of goals and directions moving forward.

Let us know how your day goes! :o I hope the sun stays out and you get some nice snaps!
    0 x
    Menz199

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:37 pm

This afternoon was great fun, got a few nice photos, and explored more places.

Thanks for the ongoing support and encouragement @Printemps , I did skim read your reply but I’ll have a proper look tomorrow with a fresh mind. Off to bed now for me.

Day 37- feeling fantastic :D
    1 x
    Anita44

Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi menz199 how are you doing? Congrats 38 days gamble free must be feeling proud and relaxed now. I know you start this journey a week before me , I think we both on the right track and we both doing pretty good too.
    0 x
    Menz199

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:25 pm

Hi all
    Thanks @Anita44 yes I'm feeling great, your doing pretty good too. :);

Day 38 - mostly quiet day, I did go out and do some shopping, work out some things I might want in the near future, mainly stuff for my computer. Then went and took some more photo's and came home did a quick grocery shop and back home again.

Looking forward to the week ahead. Tomorrow I'm going to work out seeing a psychologist.

Day 38 - Feeling good about the week ahead and slowly working on long term goals. :D
    3 x
    Menz199

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi all
    Day 40, I goofed over the weekend and got the numbers mixed up again :p I did write a post on Monday and was certain I posted it, but couldn't find it. Anyway I am doing alright.

Work this week is going it's usual slow pace, today was a real struggle to get out of mind, but mind you, I woke up around 3am and took me forever to drift off back to sleep. Otherwise I'm doing ok, feeling a bit down at the moment because I was supposed to see a friend after work and I bailed on him at the last minute because something came up and feeling down because I stuffed him around.

As for the rest of the week, still optimistic about the rest of the week, going to see my GP tomorrow, to hopefully get organised to go see a psychologist.

Day 40 - still going ok
    1 x
    Printemps

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:03 pm

@Menz199 ahh all good, the days are flying by at the moment so it's good you're keeping on top of the days as well as you are!

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough nights sleep, being tired can really exacerbate anxiety an make it really hard to get out of our own heads. Hopefully, you're friend will be understanding, we're all human and things come up unexpectedly all the time! Some things are beyond our control, and a good mate will get that!

Great to hear you're heading off to the GP, getting a mental health care plan is an amazing step forward. I just want to say how impressed I am in how far you've come over the past 40 days. You've set some really good goals, which will have such positive impacts in your life. Keep on keeping on!
    0 x
    Menz199

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Day 41

Yes my friend will understand he’s the same one who knows about my anxiety problems, he will be annoyed but understand.

So went to the GP today and had a good long chat about what’s going on, they were very understanding and have sorted out the mental health care plan, so am going to see a psychologist next week. So the balls rolling on that front.

Otherwise work went it’s usual slow pace, today’s weather was just really bad, just rain and really cold winds, not very nice weather to be outside in. Hopefully the weekend is nicer, would like to do some more photography if it’s nice, I throughly enjoyed my little adventure last Saturday. :D

@Printemps thanks mate I really appreciate it, unfortunately sleep can be tough to get sometimes, but hopefully I can rest easier knowing that I making big changes in my life for the better. Changes that I want and will benefit me in the long run :o

Day 41 - doing a lot better than yesterday. :);
    2 x
    Menz199

Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:35 pm

Day 42 and the working week draws to a close

Work was a little better today. Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow so I can go exploring again. Otherwise the usual washing and getting on top of paperwork, I should start organising stuff for my tax. Man the year goes way too fast.

Otherwise looking forward to a much needed sleep in.

Day 42- feeling good, looking forward to the weekend.
    1 x
    Surrysydney

Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:24 am

I am in need of help. I lost 4K today on pokies and 500 on Sportsbet. It would have been 6k on Sportsbet but for the fact I had predetermined limit. I was waiting all night for my partner to go to bed at midnight so I could go pokies. I lost 700, then went back to get 800 more cash from home knowing full well I’d lose it. Sure enough, I did. Where do I go from here?
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am

@Menz199 It sounds like you've got a supportive friend there. It really does help when the people around you are understanding!

That's good to hear about the mental health care plan! I hope the first appointment with your psych goes well :);

How's your weekend shaping up now? Have you got some slightly better weather to get out and explore?
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”