Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:26 am

Hi @Menz199,

Seems like you had another relevant breakthrough, good job! It's great you've identified how the gamble dynamic had been having a play in your social life too. And it's great you've identified self-confidence and making more friends as something you want to work on without needing to have an immediate answer on the 'how' at this point so it doesn't backfire and increase anxiety levels. You're definitely building up your mental strength, being able to say 'ok, I want to work on that but not right now' also shows that mental strength.

A psychologist would be of great help, in addition to journaling here and other strategies you've been putting into place such as the sticky notes. You're so on right track to make the changes you want, mate. And you're right to be feeling proud of yourself. :cool:

Day 33! Hope you have a good day at work today. :);
    1 x
    Menz199

Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:47 am

Thank you so much @Lovely Cat Lady, reading your reply brought a huge smile to my face :D if I could, I’d reach out and give you a big hug, I hope you don’t find that weird. :p

I definitely feel mentally stronger, as I am now taking my time to work through things, as opposed to overthinking things and think, it’s all hopeless and get depressed. I never be able to change or do things I want, or I’d jump to conclusions too quickly and get overwhelmed, that’s the way I used to think. :D :D

I know I keep repeating myself on this, but thank you all for all your ongoing support and advice, it really helpful.

Day 33- work is going slow as usual, but should pick up soon.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:07 pm

You're most welcome! It's not weird, it's a normal reaction to feeling understood and I'm glad you're feeling supported within this community and finding it helpful. :);

Yes, it's great to prioritise the more pressing issues you want to address. The rest will follow as you've started to find out along the way. Great you're observing so many changes in your thought process. It's been a lot in only 33 days. Way to go!

Keep up the good work! :cool:
    0 x
    Menz199

Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Thank you again @Lovely Cat Lady :D

Work finished up alright, not too much else to say, so I’ll leave it here and call it a night.

Day 33 - 1/3 of the way there :D
    1 x
    Printemps

Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 pm

how have you been going today @Menz199 ?
    1 x
    Menz199

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Hey @Printemps thanks for asking. Not so good.
    I woke up today and had no motivation, I was a bit down, but eventually dragged myself outside of bed. Day went off to a very slow start. But eventually got better. At the moment I'm feeling better, just tired at the moment. I better give myself an early night.

Just got to remember that every day won't always be great.

Taking the day off work tomorrow to get some stuff done to my car, so 3 day long weekend for me, yay :D Not much planned at the moment. The weather does look like rain. So looks like a quiet weekend at this point.

Day 34 still doing ok, looking forward to the weekend
    0 x
    Printemps

Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:24 pm

hey @Menz199 , I'm sorry to hear that today wasn't great. an early night sounds like a good idea right now. It can be incredibly difficult to push through, especially on days when your motivation is gone, so good job on getting up and getting going, some days that is the accomplishment for the day and there's nothing wrong with that.

You're 100% right, not every day is fantastic, it's important to keep that in mind and try to be kind to yourself when things are getting rough. even though sometimes that is easier said than done.

A long weekend sounds like a dream! A few restful days can be really nice. do you think you'll do any photography or anything like that?

I hope you get some rest and tomorrow is nicer to you :);
    0 x
    Menz199

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement @Printemps, yes I will do some photography if the weather stays nice.

Todays been a better day, caught up on bookwork and washing, and just doing other chores and making a few phone calls. So all in all, a good day. So more time tomorrow to do more fun things. :);

Day 35 - woah 5 weeks already, times goes so quickly
    1 x
    Printemps

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:45 am

That's all good @Menz199 I hope the weather stays nice for you!

That sounds like a really nice productive day. It's always a great feeling when you're able to get on top of all those little odd jobs! What are your plans for today?

5 weeks is amazing! how are you feeling?
    1 x
    Menz199

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:28 am

Hi all

Yes the weather is great, it's a beautiful sunny day. At the moment I'm just getting some emails sorted while waiting for my camera battery to recharge. Afterwards, not sure where I'll go, but I'm going to do some photography.

After 5 weeks, I feel fantastic, who knew life with not gambling can actually be enjoyable. I'm happier, less stressed and actually on top of bills for once in my life. Still trying to work out finances a little bit for the long term, but feels great to actually have some money set aside for savings. Eventually I might be able to go on a holiday sometime in the near future.

As I said long-term, I want to work on myself and overcome my social anxiety. I'm actually looking for A new job at the moment, as I no longer enjoy my current one (I've been doing it for 3 years and feel it's time to move onto something else). So overcoming my social anxiety would go a long way in finding a new job/career as well as finding new friends.

My current job can be good at times but, as time goes on I'm slowly becoming more bored and fed up doing the same thing. Maybe going to Tafe/Uni might help. Still not sure about study. So yeah, big steps ahead, but I feel ready to go out and start achieving/kicking goals. I never could have done it a month ago, or while in the zone, because I always felt like garbage and I'd never amount to anything worthwhile. Only while in the 'zone' was I happy but we all know I was only grabbing that sweet dopamine fix. Aside from that, I wasn't very happy overall. Only sometimes at work would I be happy. The rest miserable, depressed and at times worthless.

But not anymore, I'm 1000's of times better since I stopped. My mind is so much clearer and better for it :D

Sorry for being a bit of a downer, it's interesting the more I type and think about things, the more just spills out.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”