Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 0 but feeling determined

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: Day 0 but feeling determined

Sun May 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Thank you @LOSER1973 for sharing, these are all some really good strategies. :);
    1 x
    Menz199

Sun May 16, 2021 3:03 pm

Hello @LOSER1973
    Thanks for the advice, i'm doing good at the moment, but I'll keep those points in mind. I use the 'I am Sober' app to keep track of how long it's been, I'm finding very helpful.
    Just to make it clear, there was no urge to gamble, more of reflecting on how the mind can trick us into doing things we shouldn't. But it is useful reflecting on thoughts like that and identifying triggers.

Yes today is a beautiful sunny day, I've spent most of it at home, but I've caught up on washing and paperwork, currently working out what bills are coming up this week, so I'm slowly planning in advance what's what in terms of spending/bills.

@Lovely Cat Lady any apps or programs you use for budgeting/spending trackers?
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun May 16, 2021 3:31 pm

Hey @Menz199,

Glad you managed to get some washing and paperwork done. Sounds like you're having a very productive Sunday. :cool:

Yes, good job on identifying triggers and reflecting on them. :);

No, I just keep a list on my phone to record my every day spending and then I pass that information onto an excel spreadsheet at the end of the month. However, I'm sure there's apps that can help you keep track of your budget although I wouldn't want to recommend any if I haven't used them first. Some bank apps can also help you predict upcoming bills and expenses. I use mine too to plan for my upcoming expenses, including bills, insurance and other quarterly payments. There's a budgeting tool from the government that is free, it's called MoneySmart, although they also recommend using a tracking app but don't mention any.

Hope this helps.
    1 x
    Menz199

Mon May 17, 2021 3:11 pm

Day 17 it’s Monday but feeling great :D
    I have recently discovered the bill prediction feature on the CommBank app, so that’s helping so far.
    Otherwise start jotting down purchases into my phone to keep track of my spending.

Today, is going great, I got out of bed nice and early, no exercise because I think I ought to buy some warmer clothes if I’m going to brave the cold.
    I am still keen to try to start an exercise routine, I’m not much of a runner but do enjoy exercising outside. Let’s call that a work in progress for now.

Work is going great, very busy and productive :D

At the moment I’m feeling the best I’ve felt in around a month, I’m happy, more energetic. Works going good, so overall very happy.

I put this down to:

•feeling accomplished because I’m slowly putting my life back in order.

•working out ways to keep better track of my spending/planning for the future in terms of bills.

•Keeping this journal is great because I can better keep track of my thoughts and looking back.

•The ‘I am Sober’ is helping because it’s keeping track of how long I’ve been gamble free and gives me little quotes to motivate myself.

•Everybody’s support on here, thank you so much it really helps :D :D

•Spending less time on social media, I ended up deleting Facebook from my phone as I spend way too much time on it. I find it very draining sometimes. I only access it from my laptop now, I did think about deactivating my account but, I’m in a few groups on there and don’t want to miss stuff related to work.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Mon May 17, 2021 4:01 pm

Day 17! Wow, congratulations @Menz199! :cool:

Yes, that's the one! I just recently discovered it too, haha. It's been very helpful. I'm glad you found it. ;);
    Nice! One more step forward.

Yeah, some warmer clothes will be a good investment with this weather. So happy to hear you're having such a great start of the week.
    A work in progress, I love it.

Yay! that's great to hear @Menz199. I think you've made my day with your post. :o Those are all great strategies you've started putting into place. Good job!!!! And the facebook... I understand, it's so hard to delete. But it's great you've also found a way around it. So good on you for doing that.

If you get a quote you love, you can also share it in the Share your favourite quotes thread for everyone here. :D

And you're most welcome. It's an absolute pleasure following your progress. :);
    1 x
    Menz199

Mon May 17, 2021 6:11 pm

I forgot to mention, I understand that I won't always have good days, but I aim to try and work out and try to 'weather the storm' I think that's the appropriate phrase. So that when I do have bad days/thoughts I can manage them better.
    2 x
    Menz199

Mon May 17, 2021 10:06 pm

Another day down, today was great.
    I know I still have a long way to go but feel like I’m making great progress :D

Day 17/100 still going strong and feeling great about the week ahead. :D
    3 x
    Printemps

Tue May 18, 2021 9:16 am

@Menz199

It's great to hear your determination for the week ahead! I hope you have a great day today and keep smashing your goals :o
    2 x
    Menz199

Tue May 18, 2021 2:06 pm

@Printemps thanks, I hope your have a great week too :D

Good afternoon all
    Going alright today, works really slow, but I’m trying to be as positive as I can.

Woke up 3 times last night so didn’t sleep the best.
    I also had a nightmare, I was out playing the pokies, I was thinking nooooo how did this happen? What led me to this. I’ve failed my challenge. Why am I here.

But eventually I woke up and realised, and I admit very relieved it was just a dream. When I got up this morning and had a shower, I was thinking about the dream, but told myself dreams like this will happen, but the longer I stay away, the dreams/thoughts will become less frequent as my brain focuses on other things.

Otherwise it’s another beautiful sunny day, too nice to be stuck at work haha and still feeling good.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm

Good afternoon @Menz199,

Day 18 already! Good job! You're smashing through your 100 Day Challenge. :o

Almost half-way through the week, hope work gets better for you in the next days.

Oh, no, sorry to hear you had a bad night sleep. Sounds like that was a very frightening nightmare, I can imagine what a relief you felt when you realised it wasn't real.

Of course, there's no insurance that it won't happen again but you're also right in that they'll hopefully become less frequent as that space in your mind becomes occupied by other things/new ideas.

And yes, it was a lovely day today. Let's hope it keeps up throughout the weekend. :cool:
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”