Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • New Job, new lifestyle - 100 day challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Anonymous _cricketer

New Job, new lifestyle - 100 day challenge

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Day 0
    Having started today betting $25 on the horses to pass the time and escape from yet another injury setback I found myself removed from reality and spiralling deeper into the black hole. The result a nearly $1000 burning hole in my pocket and a deep seated hatred and shame within myself. Having derived great benefit last month from reading these posts I decided with my new job in sight its finally time I held myself to account.

So after apologising to both myself and my parents for what seems like the thousandth time I am embarking today on something that I haven't achieved since I started gambling 8 years ago, 100 days gambling free. I plan on using this thread to release my emotions along this journey and hope to make not only myself proud but also my family, and hopefully inspire other people who become addicted to gambling to crawl out of the pit of despair that comes with it. Furthermore, anyone with insights and/or offers of help during this journey, feel free to leave any comments below.
    2 x
    Damaged_Armour

Re: New Job, new lifestyle - 100 day challenge

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:24 pm

Start strong, stay strong.
    Don't give in, not even a $1 bet.
    Have a browse around the forum if you got a spare minute, lots of insights and a few tips.
    2 x
    There's No such thing as "Just Once"

You want to stop gambling? Ok great, put your boxing gloves on.
    Kevcollingwood

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:39 pm

@Anonymous _cricketer sounds like you have a plan, good luck, show it who’s boss!!!
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:49 am

Hi there anonymous cricketer!
    Loving the determination! It can be helpful to think about how you get triggered to gamble, what that trigger is and what time of the day you recognise those triggers showing up for you. Once you have outlined this, you can figure out ways to prepare yourself for that next urge that comes along. Can you think of any activities that can occupy your time that can also act as a bit of a distraction?

anyone have any specific tips/strategies that would help anonymous cricketer?
    1 x
    JB-nsw

Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:34 pm

I wrote a long response yesterday but it didn't post unfortunately. To summarise from my own short and bumpy experience in the 100 day challenge.

1. The forum helps, use it even if just as a journal to yourself. Be honest too, there's no judgement here. Try to make it a thing that when you get any urge, to try and read some posts.

2. Know how far you are willing to go. I tried doing it on my own, that wasn't enough so found and joined this forum for the 100 days. I slipped a couple of times so I have now added self exclusion. It would have been better if I went straight to seclusion at the start but I had an ego problem with that for some reason.

3. Do consider self exclusion. So far for me it has been good (still early days).

4. Know your cycles. I was a once a week mainly, so I know 6-9 days is when to be ultra alert.

5. Lastely, know and learn from yourself. Whatever happens positive or negative note it and try to learn from it. Mid urge, try to spot the games your mind is trying to play on you and share it here. One of mine was the "just x $", which is fine and logical at home but I am not logical when I gamble so any agreement I make with myself before hand go out the window.

6. Don't test your resolve. Its a trick, you can't test if you have control.. at least not for a while I would imagine.

All the best, first step is done :)
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:21 pm

Thankyou for your helpful insight ! :D
    0 x
    Anonymous _cricketer

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:29 pm

It's been a long 2 months that started out strong but has been littered with indiscretions. After promising myself many times I would throw in the towel, as I lost control (and half a months pay) over the weekend. Injuries have disrupted my routine and I've continued to use this as a convenient excuse for myself and turning my thoughts to next time.

I'm sick of thinking about next time because living this double life is draining me of every ounce of energy and as a result I find myself withdrawing from the things that give my life purpose and enjoyment.

I've decided to start yet again and would ask for any tips that anyone here found useful in resisting those early urges and temptations.

Finally, a massive thanks to all those who left messages and offered advice last time, I hope to some day soon be able to pay it all forward.
    1 x
    TheTiges

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi @Anonymous _cricketer

Wellcome back! I think it's really good the fact you came back . This shows how much you want to address your gambling !

It's important to be clear about your OWN goals and the reasons for wanting change. Try to focus on your strengths, on your goals and on what you want to achieve.
    As a starting point, might be a good idea to think on what changes you want to make ( be very clear and specific about them - and write them down); and how important they are to you?

To manage an urge you can consider distraction , what ways can you distract yourself, that have worked for you in the past?
    1 x
    AlcoholicGambler91

Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 pm

Hey mate,

Pretty awesome you’ve owned up and taken some accountability for the stuff ups! Like one of the other posters said use it as a journal!!
    4 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”