Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Day 32

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Nigel1234

Day 32

Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:49 am

Hey
    So i have some how managed to not gamble(pokies are my addiction) for 32 days now and I have honestly felt the best I have in months. It's nice getting paid and putting money away into my savings and starting to pay off the credit card instead of my old routine which would be head down the club on my first day off and blow 80% of my wages then struggle for 6 days, then repeat this every week.
    The things I have struggled with is I have been avoiding my freinds as we usually go out for a beer and gamble together so feel bad but I know I can't go out for a beer as if I have a beer then I will gamble so Ihaven't actually drank at all. I have just been making excuses not to go rather then tell them the truth.
    Also the mind games...... Do the thoughts of gambling ever go away? I feel like I get the urge all the time. I can be busy at work and think "I'd like to go for a slap to relax me" or on my days off if I have nothing to do the old me would head straight to the club.

Anyway thanks for reading and I hope everyone else is doing well
    3 x
    AGHS

Re: Day 32

Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:24 pm

Congratulations on 32 days of gamble free.......isn't it great to actually have money and not worry about how you will pay for food, bills, fuel. Sometimes we need to avoid our friends until we can become stronger....have you considered telling them that you had started to develop a problem with gambling? Perhaps suggest catching up at a place that doesn't have gambling?? In regard to the urges, they will eventually stop. Its a bit like a muscle, the less you use it the weaker it becomes. Acknowledge the urge, it will pass and over time you will have these urges less and less. If you need that dopamine rush...simply walking will give it to you. Good luck with your journey.
    2 x
    Ila123

Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi @Nigel1234

How's your journey going?

Let us know how you are travelling and remember we are here to support you .
    0 x
    Nigel1234

Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words of support. Still havent gambled so thats day 36 i think.
    Decided to treat my self this week to some new clothes and a couple of pairs of shoes. Feels so good to buy something and not question if I have enough money.
    I always find it strange that I question myself buying shoes at $60 thinking "can I afford it" yet I used to walk in the club and lose $1000 and not even think about.
    Been in a really good head space this week. Meeting up with my mates on Monday at a bar with no pokies as I told them I have stopped gambling. They seemed supportive but I will talk to them about it on Monday. I have also decided that i am having 6 months off alcohol as I worry if I have a few beers I will be tempted back to gambling.
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:17 pm

Fantastic @Nigel1234 !

I really liked your reflection on your thinking patterns towards buying a $60 item for yourself versus the time when you had spent $1000 in the past. This shows you have looked at things more realistically and have realized how easy it is to lose the value of money through gambling.
    I'm glad to hear you are putting in boundaries for yourself and making the necessary changes to avoid falling back into the gambling trap.

36 days is massive! Keep up the great work! :)
    0 x
    Nigel1234

Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:24 pm

So day 45 if my maths is correct. Had a rollercoaster of a week last week. In Hospital for a few days with an ongoing issue then straight back to work and we had the busiest week we have had in 5 years(head chef in restaurant) so extremely stressful with fathers days.
    Some how I managed to stay away from the pokies. My will to stay away is getting stronger and my urges are becoming less.
    If I was in this situation 2 months ago I would have been to the club atleast of a couple of time this week to help me deal with life.
    I can't believe I am almost at the half way point of my goal. I also haven't had any alcohol since i started trying to quit which I think has helped keep my mind clear and head strong.
    I know I still have a long way to go, I still get waves of wanting to play and today as i was cleaning my car I found my membership card for the club and I had that split moment of maybe I should go and only play a little(which I know will never happen) but instead I snapped the card and went for a walk.a much better choice
    I hope everyone else is staying strong and doing well.
    1 x
    Hello3 [facilitator]

Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks for the update @Nigel1234 well done on getting almost half way to your goal! That is a tremendous effort, particularly snapping the club card that's great will power. Hopefully you get some time to relax after a very busy week at work :);
    0 x
    Nigel1234

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:32 pm

So day 60 and still going strong.
    Dont get me wrong there have been multiple times where I have thought about going for a sneaky bet,and saying to myself i will only spend a small amount of money(we all know that would never happen, I would be there until my bank card got declined) but I am so glad I managed to stay away. I think I realised that going for a sneaky bet so no one knows is just lying to myself more than anyone else.
    I am currently on holiday which presents a new challenge as normally when I go away I would have a huge blow out on pokies and alcohol one day. Normally like a 10 hour binge where I'd either win a lot or lose a huge amount that would take me months to recover from. But i am determined to stay away from all pubs and clubs.
    I think stopping alcohol has played a huge effect on stopping gambling. I wouldn't say I drank much,maybe 2 or 3 beers a week but once a month I would go out and consume all the beer and never knew when to stop. So not drinking has definatly helped me keep a clear head.
    I have had some really positive things happen in the last month, (all money related) but fixed the aircon in my car that broke around 8 months ago, went shopping on the weekend and bought heaps of new clothes and paid for a medical procedure that I needed done. Honestly pritty proud of how well I have managed to save.
    Its amazing what happens when you don't gamble....I only wish I realised this year's ago
    4 x
    AGHS

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm

You should be really really proud of yourself, you have and are achieving soooo much. Amazing what can happen when we give up pokies. Keep up the amazing positivity and enjoy the rewards of not gambling. You sound happy and it is great to hear you are able to afford attending to things that a few months ago you wouldn't even have considered. Your brain will trick you into just one small bet and youre right, it wont stop at one. Keep going...it can only get better and better............. :);
    1 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:41 am

Well done! Amazing work! :D
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”