Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Best way to get help from people's experiences

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Kuta001

Best way to get help from people's experiences

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Hey I'm Mathew 26 and just joined the forum tonight. I have been gambling for roughly 6 years and things have gotten worse and worse.
    I am struggling to see a way through gambling, have already tried alot of strategies to try and quit and nothing has really worked for me. I am extremely keen to stop wasting my money and get a grip on gambling, but struggling to get there. Just seeing the best support and ways people have found works for them in trying to gr8 through gambling.
    1 x
    PurpleP

Re: Best way to get help from people's experiences

Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi @Kuta001 ,
    Welcome to the forum and well done on reaching out for support on here.

The journey can be rough trying to find what works for you but stick with it because it will be worth it. I also think sometimes its about trying things again, you might be in a different frame of mind, have more motivation or other things line up better.

Take a look around the forum and our website and let us know if something takes your interest, here is some good ideas to start with from other members viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1994

I look forward to hearing more from you
    PurpleP
    1 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 am

Welcome @Kuta001 and thanks for posting! I hope you find the community very helpful.

Just wanted to let you know I've moved your thread into the 'change makers' area as this is where most of our members who are making change in their gambling hang out - will mean maximum eyes on your post/more replies.

Take care
    BrittV, community mgr
    0 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    Matt1221

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:36 pm

A change of worldview from getting to giving. Gambling can be a lot about getting (making dollars) instead of giving. If you think about the people who provide gambling you can decide to help them by making a few bets if you can afford it. Whether you win or lose it don't matter now because the goal is to help them by making a bet on that horse or pressing that button on the pokie machine. It's not about you trying to win dollars but rather you trying to help their business prosper.

You might not be able to help everyone but you can always look to help more people and take action when appropriate. This will bring you more joy than anything else.

I must warn you don't give so you can receive influence or financial reward especially from people who have the ability to give you it. If it comes it comes but your not actively looking for that because that's greed and coming from a place of lack still rather than from abundance.
    1 x
    Springhope17

Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Welcome!
    Put as many measures in place as possible and reach out for all the help you can get!
    Limit ur access to money!! I try and pay bills as soon as my pay goes into my account.
    Also i am making plans for payday and the day after which is my danger time when there is money in my account i always think if i could just win this much then i could pay this or that.
    Find other things to do with the time u would usually spend gambling.
    Remember as bad as things are now they can always get worse dont spend anymore years gambling!
    I have also started listening to gambling podcast with former addicts its really helpful.
    All the best with quiting!
    3 x
    pamela

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am

Hi and welcome..stopping this addiction is tough but you are young and don't want to go through life carrying this ..do you have a close friend or family member you can confide in?
    Try and find another activity ..limit the amount of cash you carry or don't carry your cards with you..if it is online gambling ..can you ban yourself?
    Try everything you can to stop..the biggest motivation to stop is life
    Good luck
    2 x
    clearthatmind

Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 am

Springhope2020 wrote:
    Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:55 pm
    Welcome!
    Put as many measures in place as possible and reach out for all the help you can get!
    Limit ur access to money!! I try and pay bills as soon as my pay goes into my account.
    Also i am making plans for payday and the day after which is my danger time when there is money in my account i always think if i could just win this much then i could pay this or that.
    Find other things to do with the time u would usually spend gambling.
    Remember as bad as things are now they can always get worse dont spend anymore years gambling!
    I have also started listening to gambling podcast with former addicts its really helpful.
    All the best with quiting!
    Hi Springhope, I like the idea of these podcasts. I didn't even know they existed. I'll have to do some digging. Do you have any favourites?

Regards
    0 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6

Return to “Change Makers”