Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Self loathing

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Helpme

Self loathing

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 am

Here I sit feeling sick yesterday I spent $1000 on the pokies all the money I had to pay my bills for wrist surgery, now to day I will have to explain again to Drs receptionist that I again don't have the money. This has to stop I won $3000 last week enough to pay everything,but now it's gone the gambler in me saying you can hit the jackpot again, yeah not likely the cycle continues. Not anymore it's time to stop and say no to the urges and the mindset that is the gambler in me. I'm new to this and so scared and ashamed as have been hiding and lying to my partner and kids about my still gambling, but am determined to beat it so any suggestions and support is greatly appreciated.
    1 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Re: Self loathing

Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Helpme,

Sherpa09 here (one of the moderators on the forum).

I can imagine that things must be quite distressing for you at the moment, however its great that you have reached out for support. It sounds as though have some good reasons to stop your gambling whether its looking after your kids or your own health and well - being, so remembering why your changing your behaviour can help you in times where its difficult to control your urges to gamble. I suggest reading up on the Gamblers Help website (https://gamblershelp.com.au/) of available resources to assist you in getting you the support you need. Well done again on making contact and look forward to your future posts :)

Sherpa09.
    1 x
    Mona58

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:24 am

Hi Helpme,

Welcome to the forums. There is a long tough road ahead after getting of the gambling rollercoaster. One of the first most important things is to NOT have access to money (or very little for lunch if you need). Changing routes also helps... its easy to "simply" avoid entering those demonic dens but the physical & mental strain is not pleasant those first few weeks. Be patience & understanding to these crazy emotions and eventually they will ease and become more tolerable. It all takes time. Keep busy and enjoy the moment ... the family and the new life that awaits,

Stay Strong and I wish you All the best of your journey.

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Helpme

Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks for your support, I have been to a counsellor and have signed a 2yr self exclusion deed, I also got some financial counselling to manage my debt and start paying things off. I'm into day 8 without gambling and have been keeping busy. Today was my second pay day without gambling and I was able to pay my bills and buy food with money still in the bank. I live in a small town so I have no other avenues of gambling other than those I am bared from. The thought of gambling hasn't really crossed my mind apart from me thinking that I wasted so much time and money on it. I feel less stressed and happier as I'm not sneaking around and hiding it from my family and friends and not worried about paying the rent etc.
    2 x
    pamela

Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Well done..its great that you are feeling better already..try and find other things to do even in a small town there must be something..keep up the good work
    You CAN do this
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Welcome HelpMe, what fantastic committment you showed and a huge change in a week!

How are things going?
    1 x
    Sadly, it's my last week as Community Manager. Wishing everyone all the best!
    akshay

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:51 pm

That's great man, and I am happy to see that you have improved your lifestyle and quit gambling. You have made an enormous decision, and this will bring happiness and prosperity in your life. I wish I were able to help more people stop this habit, but they have a mindset not to care for their loved ones. How can people who gamble be so selfish and inconsiderate? There should be a way to remove gambling from our ecosystem. Why are gambling institutes in business? Why is the government allowing such an act to be carried out in their country? Something must be done to stop this. Please keep this post alive by sharing it to your close relatives and friends. If Qatar can ban gambling, why can't Australia?
    0 x
    😎 AGAYA TERA BAAP 😱
    pamela

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 am

Ackshay I appreciate your concern but I don't care for the comment "They have a mindset not to care for their loved ones"
    Gambling is a disease and is a very harmful one..we might not think clearly but I for one, did not stop caring for my family
    Are you a gambler ? Perhaps not
    But please be careful about making assumptions
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:33 pm

Yes Pamela. Although many people may struggle with a gambling habit, it doesn't necessarily mean that their love for their family and friends has changed.
    Sometimes when we struggle, we tend to lose sight of things or people that are important to us. This is why changing our habits is a journey in itself.

This forum is a great way for all of us to feel supported, without any judgement.
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Calvin I absolutely agree..but it's not intentional
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”