Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • I don’t want this to break me

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    LilNoob

I don’t want this to break me

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:51 am

Turning 38 this year, and now having money problems due to gambling addiction which has spiralled out of control in the last year after several unhappy events that occurred one after the other. (Lost over $1000 last night that should have been for a loan repayment).
    Since I’m addicted, some may argue that I’m already broken. But I don’t believe I’ve hit rock bottom yet, and the reason I’m here is because I don’t want to hit rock bottom.
    I wish I could talk to my family about this, but the guilt, fear, depression, and desire not to be a burden to them prevents me from doing so. And I’m not sure if I have the strength to stop without their support.
    I’m also not good at telling people about my problems, and i’ve never been one to chat much(hence my almost dead facebook account), so I don’t know if i’ll post here often. But I needed to start somewhere, so this is my first step. My next step will be contacting my bank to place various limits on my account. I just wish I could contact them on the weekend so I can do it now.
    I want to stop this. I want out of this vicious cycle. I don’t want to be depressed anymore, or have money problems despite my decent wages. The fight starts now! 👊🏾
    3 x
    Icandoit

Re: I don’t want this to break me

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:54 am

Talk to someone. Tell someone about your problem. Let your family members know about it. I was the same few years ago, I didn't tell anyone and tried to fight the problem on my own and ended up destroying myself. I am in $21000 debts now and have lost a lot more than that in the past 3 years. My fight is really hard but I have started telling everyone about what kind of a monster person I am. I told my partner who's overseas right now. I have told my friends. I have lost the trust of my partner but I'm hopeful I'll get it back. I'm taking one day at a time. Baby steps. There's no quick fix. I visit this website everyday from now on to keep on track. I'm not gonna gamble anymore. I know how hard it is to get out of this addiction but I'll try my best to fight this disease. So my advice to you is tell someone. Don't be on your own because no matter how strong and determined you are, you'll still need support. Let's do it!
    3 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:28 pm

hI @LilNoob

Welcome to the forum and thank you for having the courage to share your story.

Sometimes keeping secrets from your family and friends is exhausting and stressful and may keep you stuck in your addiction with gambling. Telling someone will help you accountable to others but more importantly to yourself.

Your journey has started here, the next step maybe to speak to someone on Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858 with gambling counsellors, the call is confidential and anonymous.

Please continue sharing your story here, I look forward to learning from your experiences.

Take care.

dragon007
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi @Icandoit

Have you tried financial counsellors on the National Debt Helpline - 1800 007 007, they can assist with debts.

Regards
    dragon007
    1 x
    Icandoit

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 pm

hi dragon007

I joined this page couple of days ago. I'm new. I looked up financial counselor but they are off on weekends. Would they assist me online or on the phone?
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm

hi @Icandoit

The debt helpline is only a Monday to Friday service and assistance is over the phone. There are also local Financial Counsellors that you can meet and will help advocate for you with your debtors.

Regards
    dragon007
    2 x
    Andy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Telling someone close to you will help. I am going at it day by day, letting my fiancé know regularly how many days GF I am.

It’s a great feeling and also reminds you that you don’t want to let other people down and yourself if others are apart of the process.

Good luck

Andy
    2 x
    LilNoob

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I called the gambling hotline and started arrangements to speak to a Counsellor and financial advisor after I made the first post. I’ve also made arrangements with my financial institution.

Although it was highly uncomfortable speaking to ANYONE about my problems, talking about it did lift some weight off my chest. It will take time to find the strength to speak to my family and friends about this though.

I’ll sign up for the 100 day challenge. Reading other people’s posts have been helpful in strengthening my determination to tackle this problem, and if my posts can help someone else in some way, then it’s something worth undertaking.
    3 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 am

Hi @LilNoob

Well done on reaching out for supports.

Be patient and kind to yourself, it will take a lot of strength and courage to stop gambling, and as you gain confidence, you will get the strength to talk to your family.

Literally take it one moment, one day at a time, don't forget to enjoy the other things in your life right now.

Take care and all the best.

Regards
    dragon007
    1 x
    pamela

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Well done on taking such big steps in your endeavour to stop gambling..keep going in this direction
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”