Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • I guess the next step is insanity

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    nevergiveup

I guess the next step is insanity

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:06 pm

Hello, I am a compulsive gambler that is probably a hopeless 'case' in regard to recovery from this addiction.

I am not going into my story again, but do know that I will probably never ever give up hope, but that is not the point I need to stop forever, either one way or another.

The odds of me stopping at this age is nil.

Helen
    0 x
    Evelina

Re: I guess the next step is insanity

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for your post @Nevergiveup,
    It is good to hear you still have hope. Can other members think of any strategies that have worked for them in the past to harness hope?
    1 x
    Andy

Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Shift the focus, I am 12 days GF I have gone stints of 6-9 months before before vicious cycles of gambling take over.

You may not be getting fulfilment in your life that then resorts to gambling.

Try to focus on changing your life to learn something new, challenge yourself or maybe help others.

I will need to be strict in telling myself when I feel like i’ve reached a plateau in my life this will now become a trigger to focus on learning something new, or challenging myself.

Thanks
    Andy
    1 x
    Realme

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:07 am

Hi there friend (Helen)
    I know what you mean - aren’t those pokie machines horrid ? Today I went & only ended up hurting my hand (from pressing those stupid buttons hundreds & hundreds of times) & hurting my bank balance (minus dollars/negative account). I feel like this addiction has got me as I can’t seem to escape it - I’ve tried to stop numerous times & have come to the conclusion that I will always have this hideous addiction as I always end up going back there even though I don’t want to go. Every time I go out, if I have some cash, i’m there - It’s devastating to feel I have no control over it. I hate it when I see others cashing out hundreds of dollars there & i’m the loser (lately i’m always losing & it feels sickening walking out with 0 dollars. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I don’t, I think it depends weather I did any of my priorities such as pay bills, buy what I need, etc. A few weeks ago, I didn’t do my priorities & spent my whole pay there, I cried for 2 days. Today, I did some of my priorities before going there but not all what I was supposed to do, didn’t cry but feel sad about not doing all my priorities. If I did all my priorities I wouldn’t have any money left to gamble with & it would have been better. The mistakes we make by going there! All I can say is that I pray you can beat it, There is support here & on the 100 day challenge site should you wish to join there too (as I have for some added support) I know you want to stop gambling & I want to also. May you find the strength you need to fight this disastrous addiction off. I’ll be praying for both of us. God bless
    2 x
    nevergiveup

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm

Thank you for your replies,
    I really need a buddy that I can talk to. Someone who is very strong in their recovery. I live 90 klms from nearest Gambling Help.
    I am not a needy person, just a lost soul.
    Helen
    3 x

Return to “Change Makers”