Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Gambling is ruining my life

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    jessica

Gambling is ruining my life

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi all,
    New to this forum but going to try and see if it helps.

Been struggling with gambling for 4-5 years severely. Spending wages, relying on family, taking out loans, using inheritance money, taking money from family and lying. I could go on for hours.

It’s come to the point that it is starting to affect my relationship to the point of it possibly breaking down. At the age of 30 I’ve finally found my life partner but she is sick of my gambling and lying. I get how she feels this way.

I Have tried CBT (I also work in this field and use CBT on a daily basis), counselling, self help, closing accounts and self exemption. Still yet I am finding it hard to stop. To the point I am considering a rehabilitation, it kills me to say that but I know it has gotten that bad that I feel I am never going to rid myself of this addiction. I really don’t know what to do anymore.

I suffer severe depression and have self harmed due to my gambling and the feelings I have towards myself after the fact.

I suppose I am looking for support from someone who has overcome the same issues. I have attempted to quit, cut down or even control gamble many of times and I fail every single time.

Please help
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: Gambling is ruining my life

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:16 am

Welcome to the community @jessica, and thank you for sharing your story. I'm BrittV, the community manager on here.
    It's really impressive all the things that you've tried so far to make a change - you should be very proud of your courage and persistence. Coming here shows this strength continues!

There are lots of amazing members here who will relate very closely to how you feel now, and have overcome it. I am confident you will find some amazing support here.

Looking forward to hearing how your journey goes.
    Take care,
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:42 am

hi @jessica

Have you tried attending Gamblers Anonymous meetings?

Hearing other people's stories may help as it can give you a better perspective of your own situation.

https://gaaustralia.org.au/

dragon007
    1 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:00 am

Hi @jessica

How are things going?

Regards
    dragon007
    0 x
    clearthatmind

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Sorry Andrew, I just realised you were replying to another post and not mine. I got a post from you via email and for that reason, :o I thought it was replying to me
    0 x
    Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways take notice of him, and he will make your paths straight...Proverbs 3:5, 6
    Bear22

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:17 pm

@jessica are you still active in the forum? If so checkout my recent accountability challenge. Hope you are well.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”