Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Day ONE for me!

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Tilney

Re: Day ONE for me!

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 pm

I can proudly say I’m now day 15!!
    5 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon May 20, 2019 2:18 pm

How have things been going for you @Tilney ?
    1 x
    Tilney

Wed May 22, 2019 7:02 am

Hi Calvin,
    Thanks for asking. I had a slip up and unfortunately got way back to square one. Didn’t feel good at all. I managed to get to 20 days and then lost all my hard work. It’s difficult but I’m determined to succeed!
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Hey @Tilney

20 days is great work! Slip ups are normal along the way, becoming free from gambling is a journey in itself and can be a great way to rediscover ourselves.

When these 'lapses' occur, it can often be accompanied with feelings of shame, guilt, dissappointment etc. Forgiveness and acceptance is of great importance here because forgiving yourself relieves the pressure that we sometimes unknowingly put on ourselves and acceptance allows us to take a step forward towards our goals.

What can be useful is to evaluate: What was happening at that time of the slip up? What were you feeling? What thoughts were running through your mind? Were there any physical sensations that you felt at that time? Is there a particular time in a day where you get most triggered or urges are stronger?

Asking yourself some of these questions allows you to take the slip up as a learning experience and help you to become aware of these thoughts and feelings for next time should an urge arise so then you can recognize and acknowledge them without acting on them through impulse. Finding activities or other hobbies when you feel triggered can also be helpful.

Keep up the great work!

Calvin.
    1 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”