Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Time for change...

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    cardofhearts

Time for change...

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Hi all :D

I’m Stacey and I’m going to try and conquer not gambling for 100 days and hopefully more! I’ve been gambling since 17 years old in pubs (they never checked my I.D) and now I’m turning 26 in two days. At a young age, I was on the gold tier rewards at leagues clubs and often workers would comment “you’re very young to be a gold member”. I used to think that I was ‘cool’ to have that achievement but boy oh boy that’s where I started to go down hill.

Here’s to day 1 of not gambling and hopefully many more to come.

Good luck to every one else who’s trying their best to conquer this addiction. I was you all the best! :)
    4 x
    DemonsBeGone

Re: Time for change...

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 pm

Good luck Stacey! This is my first comment on any post on list site as I only joined a couple of days ago.

My name is Peter and I have had a gambling problem for over 25 years and a serious drinking problem for the last 4 years. Only 4 years because I had started to neglect things that needed to get done so that I would have more money for drink and gambling. I had a serious wake up call on Saturday afternoon just gone and it was a MASSIVE "A-Ha" moment. My eldest sister has cut me out of her life and does not want anything else to do with me. There are 5 of us in the family and mum and dad and we have all been very close for as long as I can remember, plus the 13 grandkids and 4 great-grandkids. So I have a lot more that I could lose than I could EVER gain from gambling....it was a no-brainer. This evening I even attended my first AA Meeting, I have given myself a self-imposed ban from my local club and it's other clubs around the region and have cancelled my membership with the request to not allow me on the premises.

Once again good luck for the 100 days. I am there with you but won't even bother counting mine because I am done and dusted.

All the best.
    PJ
    4 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:58 am

Hi @cardofhearts and @DemonsBeGone

Welcome to the forum, and thank you both for sharing your stories.

It takes a lot of strength and courage to seek help and to let yourselves be vulnerable and share your pain with others, it also shows that you want to be accountable for your actions.

Try to be patient with yourselves, it is really about taking it one day at a time, don't look too far ahead, it is impatience that sabotages peoples' recovery.

It is important not to take your life for granted and the people around you, take the time to appreciate and be grateful for the things and the people you have rather than focusing on what you have lost.

I hope you both find the help and inspiration you are looking for here.

All the best and take care.
    dragon007
    3 x
    cardofhearts

Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:08 pm

Good luck Pj!
    No matter what stage we are at in life, I’m glad that we have both come to the realisation that this isn’t doing us and our family any good. I know you can overcome this hurdle! All the best. We can do this! X
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am

Welcome @DemonsBeGone,
    Have you seen our Q&A running at the moment on the relationship between alcohol and gambling? I thought I would mention it to you incase you have any questions you'd like to contribute, which you can do here.

Hope you're well, Take care
    BrittV, community mgr
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”