Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Newbie starting the 100 day challenge

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Less chilli

Newbie starting the 100 day challenge

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 pm

New to this as last Thursday I ended up ‘chasing’ more than I could afford.
    My weakness: pokies
    Day of temptation: Thursday (pay day)
    Action: taking on this challenge to keep me on track.
    So far so good, but it’s only been 4 days without a slap. Thursday is approaching & I will try & remember all the tools this site has provided! It’s nice knowing I’m not the only one who battles with these urges.
    4 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Re: Newbie starting the 100 day challenge

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi @Less chilli

Welcome to forum and congratulations on having the strength and courage to face your gambling problems and to share your experiences.

I look forward to reading more about you and your journey to being free from gambling.

Take care of yourself, be patient, and take it one day at a time!

dragon007
    1 x
    sml0490

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:49 pm

You can do this! I’m on day 12 and every day is a milestone. Best thing is on pay day to make sure you keep as occupied as you can!
    Good luck with your journey
    4 x
    Shan04
    How the F did I get here

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:32 pm

Hey Less Chilli,

Welcome!! Lots of support here. Well done for coming here and taking that step.

Not sure just how bad your problem is or how deep in you are, but my best advice is get someone to help you with your money.
    Yes you may want to do it by yourself, as I know a lot of people feel like they are being controlled and don't like that feeling, but I believe it's the only way in the early days.

Also you need to be at a point where you have had enough and the determination to quit is stronger than the urge to play.

All the best, you can do it for sure!
    1 x
    Less chilli

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:54 pm

So it’s been 10 days with out a slap & I actually don’t really miss it as much as I thought I would. I have given control of the $ to my husband. Although I wasn’t that far into a gambling hole, I knew it wouldn’t be long before I was. So I wanted to join this group to keep me on track.
    Keeping distracted really helps - as I gamble for the fun/ thrill I now keep busy gaming (non-financial) with my fams.
    Hopefully I keep strong 💪!
    3 x
    How the F did I get here

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 pm

@Less chilli
    10 days, that's phenomenal. Feels good hey.
    Great to hear you are trying to get a hold of this before you get in too deep, which can escalate quickly. Great also to hear you have turned over control of your money, it's the only way in my opinion.

Keep it up, the days start to add up pretty quick, I'm about to hit 97 days.
    You got this 👊
    2 x
    Less chilli

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 pm

@How the F did I get here
    Thanks :) 97 days..wow! Well done!! I appreciate your words of encouragement, means a lot. I even had to drop my friend off at the club the other day & i had a pocket full of cash from my work. I actually just dropped her off at the front door.. staring off into the pokie rooms, viewing the enticing lights & sounds.. but I stayed strong & just drove straight home & handed my cash over to hubby 😩. That part is harder than not slapping! But I know it’s for the best.
    Look forward to seeing u hit that 100!
    2 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 am

Well done @Less chilli

Keep it up !
    1 x
    How the F did I get here

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 pm

@Less chilli

Thank you also! That is really good to hear. Look having someone else help control finances is really the only way in the early days, and this is something I now preach on here. The only way for the majority anyway.

Enticing, yes they certainly are. I also now realize it's the same with kids and their electronics and games.

I've just realized something about your user name, would I be right in saying you liked More Chilli? It's crazy how with pokies, we all have/had our machine/machines that we loved, that reeled us in and really ***** us over! There certainly is something enticing about the concept and graphics of each machine.

Anyway keep pushing and don't give up!
    You can do it X
    1 x
    Less chilli

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

@How the F did I get here firstly CONGRATS!!! You would have hit the 100day challenge!! Where’s your head at now? Is it a feeling like an ‘end’ date on a diet.. & you’re keen to visit the buffet now?? That’s what I’m concerned about - but then again, surely the habit is well & truly broken by then?
    & yes you’re correct with the user name lol but I have many fav machines! The lightening links got me every time - always chasing that major (which I have got several times, but that what keeps me going back)!

Any how still staying strong - just trying to keep busy.
    Well done again! X
    2 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”