Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience & friends and family.

• Share your experience & strategies.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join the discussion today!
  • My stupid self

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Acor6425

My stupid self

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I always told myself I wouldn’t be addicted to gambling, just 20 bucks more, just 20 bucks more, 20 + 20 turned into 40 that 40 turned into 80 and so on, it’s a tale to familiar for me, I have been gambling since I was legal & I don’t even enjoy it anymore, I only go because the pokies are there .... like I’m going to win back everything I’ve lost, yet, the thaught of never touching another pokie scares me, I have a tough battle ahead & need support, is there anybody here who can help?
    5 x
    Mona58

Re: My stupid self

Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:37 am

Hi,

You are right it is a tough battle ahead -but only for a short time

Read as many stories as you can... that will help understanding that you are not alone.

The GHO counselling on 1800 858 858 can help take some weight off your shoulders!

Mona
    6 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    pamela

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 am

You have started to help yourself by coming here..the road is long but there is life after gambling..ask for help.post your thoughts.come here for support..so many ways to help you if you are determined..dont look back just step forward one day at a time..good luck
    6 x
    FamilyFirst

Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Howdy, well done for reaching out and looking for help.

It is a hard road for the first bit. But everyday you remain gamble free is a win and slowly the 'fog' will lift and your urges will be much more controllable.

Have a plan on how to overcome any urges by filling your time with other activities and hobbies. Use any family and friends as support. Try to avoid your contact with cash and credit.

At the end of the day the only one who can help you is yourself. I would be lying if I said I never thought about going to the pokies again. But I'm pretty sure I know the outcome if I did ever go back, I'D LOSE!! I'm a compulsive gambler, I'd play till I lost the lot, guaranteed..

So I choose not to go, because the odds are I'll lose.

Everyday spent gambling is a day wasted, I'd rather look back on my life knowing I made a mess of 17 years but the rest was good ;);

Cheers, Lee
    3 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Hello @Acor6425 , you may even want to look into some self-exclusion just as an extra restriction for yourself.
    3 x

Return to “The Courtyard”