Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • 21 Years old and addicted.

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    AnonymousGA1

21 Years old and addicted.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:01 pm

I wanted to post my story somewhere as sometimes I scare myself how involved I get with my betting, then realise after how my mind controls my body and takes all irrational thoughts out of my head, which results in me betting away tens of thousands of dollars.

It all started in year 11, we had a guy come into our school to tell us how he'd lost his family, his home and had essentially become homeless are losing hundreds of thousands of dollars on horse racing, as a joke I stupidly went home and created an account, as I thought it would be funny to show my mates the next day and have a laugh at how this guy had actually done the complete opposite, when I never intended on betting.

I only ever bet when I'm bored, and so one day I went home and decided to put down my first bet of $20 which I of course won, which I now look back on and wish that I hadn't had won because I most likely would've given up, closed the account and moved on with my life! After winning I felt so excited and energised, the feeling of winning felt good and I wanted to keep feeling this, so I kept betting. Started off with $20 bets, then moved unto $50 then $100 then $500 and so on...I was surprisingly okay at betting on particular markets, and tended to break even, until one day I lost a $300 bet and wanted to win the money back, so I put on a $1,000 bet then lost that and kept trying to win back what i'd lost, til I eventually somehow made it back with a $3,000 bet which at the time was most of the money i'd saved as an 18 year old who was getting barely $12/hour.

I started with one betting account, and when i'd lose I'd just create a new account with a different company which is ridiculous cause there are hundreds of companies, and I kid you not i've locked myself out of 30 or 40, and still find sites to gamble through. My mates were aware of my gambling and took digs at me for being addicted and while they were making a joke of it, I secretly knew I was which made me quite depressed and upset, this was 2-3 years ago.

Today I put a $10,000 bet down, which once again is most of my savings as a 21 year old, and got a call from the gambling site I use, ironically enough a lady from the gambling helpline department of this particular site, who was sussing me out, and questioning why a 21 year old would put a $10,000 bet down. It was tennis betting and I was literally having a heart attack every point my player would lose so I went for a run, my player was losing when the odds were really low, so I sort of conceded defeat and went for a run, to my surprise my player won somehow, which has led me to come to this forum. It was a fairly sizeable win, and just wanted some help and advice with what to do now!

I've been looking online and would love to hear other peoples stories and advice to get out, after today I was very shook when I suddenly realised I could've lost 10,000 which has deterred me momentarily, but I'm afraid the urge will come back again, thanks in advance for the advice, i'm in need of it!!
    2 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Re: 21 Years old and addicted.

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Welcome to the community @AnonymousGA1.

Thank you for sharing your story, you can be proud of yourself for taking the first steps to make a change!

There are many on here who have been where you are now, I'm sure they will have much support and strategies to share with you.
    Continue to read and post here, many find it really helpful.

Looking forward to hearing how things go for you.

Take care, BrittV - community mgr.
    1 x
    AnonymousGA1

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Thanks Britt,

I'm one of the lucky ones who's fortunately broken even with gambling, while i'm addicted I've caught it early, and hope that I don't start to gamble again and go into the negatives with losing money gambling, catching it early and ensuring I don't lose ten's of thousands of dollars is key to ensuring I knock it on the head, and as a 21 year old, I'm at Uni and haven't started working full time where i'll have access to a considerably better wage, and more money to gamble away if I don't make a change now!
    3 x
    TimTam

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:59 am

Hi @AnonymousGA1

Thank you for sharing your story! One of the hardest things that can happen is to have a big win with gambling- this can sometimes strengthen the urge even further! Then there is the risk of losing all of your money. Its great you have recognised that you need to keep safe now, that you need to make a change before things get worse. What have you put in place currently to help you through all of this? Do you have anything to manage those urges or protect your money?

Take care,

Tim Tam
    2 x
    AnonymousGA1

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Hey @TimTam

The feeling in my gut of nearly losing the $10,000 was surprisingly enough to deter me, I shut down all my gambling accounts and haven't had the urge to gamble again, and if I could I don't know where i'd do it, as I don't have an account to gamble on! In the long term I have plans to put most of my money into a long term deposit (1 year) where I can lock the money away, and not have access to it for a whole year, and hopefully by that time I'd still be clean from gambling and know better then ruining my future by gambling away all my money!
    3 x
    onemorechance

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi @AnonymousGA1

Congratulations on getting here. It's a great milestone that you have been able to realise that you have a problem but also that you are seeking help off the back of a winning bet. It took me hitting rock bottom, every time getting progressively worse for me to get to the moment of realisation that I needed to stop for good. That was 17 months ago and it was the best decision I've ever made. I hope this is the start of something similar for yourself!
    3 x
    AnonymousGA1

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm

I really hope so, I’ve not had any urges or temptations since I last gambled with that winning bet, it really did shock me, as I’m not sure if you’re familier with tennis, although my player was down 5-4 in the first set, and had just been broken so the other player was on serve (which they typically don’t lose) although the other player was broken and my player won the set, and hence the second set to secure me the win, my gut felt like it had left my body I was so stunned and shocked and it put me off gambling entirely as it was the worst feeling, and with so many people posting saying they won and won and won, then lost like $200,000 is what probably should’ve happened to me, although I just had one last big win, then stopped all together 😅
    0 x
    DocileDirection

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:33 am

10k on a tennis match! you have some balls dude!
    Thats great you didn’t have to learn the hard way!
    Cut your winnings i guess & call it quits 100%👍
    1 x
    AnonymousGA1

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:43 am

Yeah it was very very scary, I'd never be able to do it again due to how scared I was thinking, wow this is a considerable amount of my hard earned money and savings just gone down the drain over an hour long tennis match!
    1 x

Return to “The Courtyard”