Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    AnnaB (facilitator)

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 pm

ChandlerBing (1/08/2013)If you have a creative side and enjoy discovery then look into photography it's one awesome hobby it can take you places you didn't think existed or you would end up and can keep you really busy, as its not all about taking photos its about editing them, retouching presenting them to friends and family.
    Hi ChandlerBing,
    A warm weekend welcome to you! Great to have you posting....sounds like the photography is working really well at keeping you busy and distracted . Great suggestion - thanks
    0 x
    Merle

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Plan your future
    0 x
    Angelina.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Merle,

Don't think we have met...well said...care to elaborate on what this means ?

Warm regards,

Angelina
    0 x
    Merle

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Give yourself a make-over.
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Make overs are always fun be they physical or psychological I've been getting in to pilates lately..good for my mind and body - What do you like to do with your spare time Merle?
    0 x
    candy

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 pm

congrats! i'm only 3 days free of gambling, i hope i can also make it to 21 days! i wish i could get a puppy but i have a kid so i guess that's sort of the same thing haha
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:17 am

Hey Candy, Hope it's all going well! How have you been travelling over the past month!
    0 x
    AmandaB

Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:43 am

One of the things I got from gambling is it was open and there whenever I felt like it. Lights music people around. It felt a bit social and safe place for a woman. Usually only decided to go right before. It would be great if there were centres you could drop into play boardgames or something. Any ideas?
    0 x
    Angelina.

Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:53 am

Hi Amanda,

Excellent question- love the thinking!

I must say that I am a terrible example of a person with regard to involvement in local community (with the exception of the gym haha ). What kind of area are you living Amanda (e.g., suburban, inner city, rural, semi-rural etc)? Some people find bingo more social and enjoyable (provided that you are not near the pokies section of the club or are not staying abstinent across ALL forms of gambling!!!) How about a local recreational centre with say a pool or gym, or a local billiards club? Or you might try golf or tennis?

Keep us posted

Warm regards
    Angelina
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:08 am

Hi Angelina,
    I am living on the Central Coast NSW, so there are a lot of places and people around. I have played Bingo before, but a lot of the things you mentioned need you to plan in advance. Impulsivity and gambling are linked with me, I feel like it and go - straight away. I probably need to organise myself with a few regular enjoyable activities.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”