Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Here goes everything...

For those taking the 100 Day Challenge. Share your journey, seek support and track your progress here!
    Crtny_b

Here goes everything...

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi all,

This is my pledge to start a 100 day challenge starting Monday 5th November 2018.
    My partner and I are pathological gamblers addicted to pokie machines. I’m tired. I’m exhausted.
    We’ve been through the ups and downs for approx 4 years now, 4 for him 2 for me.
    In the beggining I had a partner who gambled now I’m in a partnership where gambling seems to be the thing we just find ourselves doing as soon as it’s pay day. We bet big and whatever we have is gone very quickly. We can go to the atm anywhere from 5-15 times in one sitting.
    Anyway this afternoon we watched Ka-Ching Pokie nation... I found it ok, honestly nothing I didn’t already know, pokies aren’t designed for the player, and playing at the rate in which me and my partner play we are guarenteed to be at a loss ALWAYS. This is my hope to be accountable, my partner doesn’t like to talk.. he hates thinking about the money lost or the disappointment. He has promised to do this challenge too but I don’t want to base my commitment on his, I am doing this regardless. The ONLY way to do this is to stop completely. I am thankful for the support of this forum and the great people here.

Everything is at stake, although my bills are paid and I am not owing people money.. I have a very good career and nothing to show for it. Here’s to creating a new life and focusing on the person I want to be.

Danger times for us are Thursday’s, Friday’s, Saturday’s and Sunday’s... it’s Monday tomorrow and we are broke so definitely know I’ll make it 3 days. I’ll check back in on Thursday and update.
    0 x
    Mona58

Re: Here goes everything...

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 am

Hi Crnty'

There a lots of stories on YouTube about gambling. I found watching them made me stronger And helped to understand how gambling had taken over my life. As you progress through each day little snippets of the things you read will kick in,

All the best on your journey! Stay strong!

Mona
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi Crtny_b

Sounds like a stressful time for you at the moment.
    Its great to hear that you are ready to tackle the gambling.

Maybe it could be useful to see a gambling counsellor and they can also help you with self-exclusion (banning yourself) form a venue.

regards,

Calvin.
    0 x
    Crtny_b

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks. Yeah I see one. Trying to go once a week, we will see how it goes
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 am

Good luck with your challenge..making the decision to stop is a great beginning..
    0 x
    Crtny_b

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Still gamble free. But again I’ve onlt had approx. $200 accessible to me and not paid u til Thursday. I feel strong that I will not gamble on Thursday or Friday and plan on keeping very busy on Saturday and Sunday. I find if I make promises or commitments and plans with family members it holds me accountable to engage in activities with them. Fingers crossed. I hope all are staying strong and feeling ok. Thanks
    0 x
    pamela

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 am

It helps to have plans that will take the concentration off gambling..keeping your mind busy always helps..keep focused and dont think too far ahead just one gamble free day at a time ..
    0 x
    Hopeful_1

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:16 pm

good on you. How have you been so far?
    I am pledging the 100 days starting tomorrow 8th November. I gambled today or else I would start today.
    Would love to take this journey with you.
    My husband and I also gamble a lot and he sounds very similar to yours in that he doesn't like to talk and hates thinking about the money lost etc.
    Hope we can help each other through this.
    There is so much great support on here though so coming back to read through comments and replies helps.
    All the best with your 100 days. Keep us posted please :)
    0 x
    Crtny_b

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Hello

I was just thinking the same thing whilst reading your comments. It’s great to have a place to vent and people to talk to experiencing the same problems. We can help eachother. I want to be firm on myself and really make this a very serious attempt. My partner seems to be on board so I really am placing everything on the line here.
    0 x
    Hopeful_1

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:16 pm

It always helps to have the partner on board.

Mine is somewhat in denial and blames me for being the "ringleader" which is tough at times but he is supportive of me getting help which is good I guess

Today was my first gamble free day for a while and it felt good not to have that ugly feeling in my gut after losing all the money

I am looking forward to many more days like this.. trying to picture my life in the future when I'm no longer gambling and can have some money sitting in the bank for emergencies and small luxuries.

It seems so far away, but I got to start somewhere, right?
    0 x

Return to “Take the 100 Day Challenge”