Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Tips to get him to talk

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    kate17

Tips to get him to talk

Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:57 pm

My partner has recently admitted that he has a gambling problem. We haven't talked much about it get but I'd love to hear any tips and strategies you guys have for approaching this issue. What has helped you? I really want to be able to help him through this but I don't really know where to start. Would love to hear some success stories (or at least success stories in progress!).
    0 x
    remsan004

Re: Tips to get him to talk

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Kate,

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I don't have any good advice unfortunately as I'm struggling with the exact same thing as you at the moment. Just wanted to send you my love and if you just need to chat to someone feel free to send me a message.

Stay strong x
    Emma
    0 x
    Pamby

Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Kate..the best thing you can do is be open about his problem ..help him as much as you can by taking control of his finances...try to find out why he gambles..be supportive ..its not easy confessing such an addiction
    Good luck to both of you
    0 x
    Calvin (facilitator)

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Kate17,

I'm Calvin, one of the facilitators here on GH Online.
    Good on you for reaching out to the forums.
    Often it becomes quite difficult for people affected from another persons gambling.

Firstly, its great to hear that he has recognized the gambling issue, that is always the first step in making changes.
    You can both have a discussion about seeking further gambling counselling through gamblers help. Sometimes having counselling in place can really be a major support and helps to put strategies in place.

Self-exclusion can often help where the person essentially bans themself from venues/apps. As Pamby said, a good strategy to also use would be if you both agree to restrict his access to money.

I hope you find the forums useful to you at this time,

kind regards,

Calvin.
    0 x
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 am

Hi Kate17

Asking you partner what he gets from gambling (excitement, finances, entertainment, stress relief, etc) is a question that may open up the conversation about his gambling. It acknowledges the reasons he gambles and that together you can try to explore other ways to satisfy the need for him to gamble.

Also, sometimes it is easier for him to talk to a total stranger about his gambling problem, you could suggest he calls the Gambling Helpline on 1800 858 858, it is a 24/7 service, it is confidential and anonymous.

I hope these suggestions can help.

All the best.
    dragon007
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”