Welcome to our online peer support community!
This is a place for anyone affected by problems relating to gambling - those with lived experience & friends and family.

• Share your experience & strategies.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join the discussion today!
  • Day 1

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your oning recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!
    Jaxx

Day 1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi All,
    Today is the new chapter for me... I am a gambler, I am addicted to the thrill of the pokies and I always hate myself for it. It seems I'm not alone in this dark world of gambling. I have spent crazy amounts every week and I'm sick of it ! I want nice things, go on holidays and generally be happy in myself again... my story begins when I was off work with an injury and seen an ad about free bonus and I won $5000 and have chased that winnings ever since ! That was 10 years ago. I moved here from uk 3 years ago and was meant to be a new start and honestly it's been anything but. The pokies are everywhere and the pull is unreal for me. I do this when I'm bored or I need money quickly but always end up losing more than I should.
    I want to be free and sleep well again and start buying the things I want and need. I'm going to need all the help I can get and already I feel better by taking this step and registering to this site and admitting IM A GAMBLER AND FAR FROM PROUD !
    0 x
    buttercup (facilitator)

Re: Day 1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi there @ Jaxx
    Buttercup one of the facilitators here, well done coming to the forums and reaching out for help. Acknowledging your need for help is one of the most important stages of change and subsequent recovery. Gambling and the pokies can be very addictive and often its most appealing to people when they are in their most vulnerable states, over time they learn to use it to cope with the way they are feeling and i'm hearing that you may be feeling this way. Jaxx it sounds like you have good insight and are committed to reducing or quitting gambling to have the things you like and need. I hope that this peer support forum will provide you with important tools to help manage your urges and gain control over your gambling. In addition you can also access free gambling help counselling and put in place a self exclusion contract. I can provide more information for you regarding both these options if you are interested.
    0 x
    Cazza

Re: Day 1

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forum jaxx. It is a horrible addiction and we all understand each other's pain . There are heaps of good ideas on people's forums through the site. Read as many as you can and put some plans in place and brace yourself to fight. It's hard but it can be done. Much strength to you on the start of your GF journey 😊
    0 x

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”