Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Emotionally drained

Is someone you care about experiencing issues with gambling? Come in here to discuss your concerns, connect, and get some helpful tips.
    DesperateWife

Emotionally drained

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm posting today because I need to vent. I am so emotionally drained today. My husband stopped gambling recently and he has been sticking to it well. I'm very proud of him for that. But his depression has come back really strong since he quit and no one knows yet except me so I'm providing all of the emotional support.
    I'm a social worker so my job is emotionally taxing as it is. But then I come home and I'm doing everything to support him. It's very draining.
    I'm hoping this will change soon though. He says that he's going to go to his first gambling anonymous group tonight. He's also started talking to one on one counselling services and talking about telling his family.
    But I know it's a long road ahead. Trying really hard to stay strong. My best friend knows so I've been talking to her about it and I have my own counsellor as well which helps. It's just so hard on top of all of the other life stresses we have going on at the moment.
    For now I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
    0 x
    Mona58

Re: Emotionally drained

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Have you thought about Gamblers-Non meetings?
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
    DesperateWife

Re: Emotionally drained

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi Mona58,

I have considered them but I haven't started looking into where they're located. There's part D me that wants to go to them but there's another part of me that doesn't. Not sure why. I will keep thinking about it though.
    0 x

Return to “For Family and Friends”