Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.

On now:
  • Sunlight September challenge - getting outdoors to improve mental wellness.
  • Q&A - what's stopping you from seeking support? - ANSWERS NOW LIVE
  • Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

Chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Inspire others & take us all on your road to recovery!
    SickOfThePunt

Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi all,
    Fairly new to the group but so glad I joined... day 2 for me today and payday. My grip is online betting (horses, dogs, harness racing) . So easily accessible on my phone- and also easy to hide like I was playing games if someone cane near me I'd switch screens to look like I was playing an innocent game of Candy Crush 🙄🙄

How sneaky and deceitful this problem makes me. Yesterday was easier than today, but I did it! For the longest time that I can remember , I have not Siena a cent on gambling. My Betting account must have gone into shock as I received an email stating they had given me a $25 bonus bet to use! Sneaky sneaky sneaky! I have blocked all betting apps and installed the gamblock app on my phone. Nights I would spend moody and distant, kranky with everyone around me that my horses weren't winning, or that I missed out by a photo for finish on a Trifecta... I could be spending over $500 a night ... it's so depressing- but I didn't do it tonight!!!

Might not seem much to some people but for me it's a precious milestone. As my babies lay peacefully sleeping tucked up in bed , I regret what I have taken away from them, but promise to try and pay every cent back. I went for a job interview today, for a second job and I got it!! It's weekend work - should keep me busy as I'd only be at home watching the Races secretly anyway.

I feel like my whole life I've been chasing the losses, 20 years of gambling, I started on the pokies at 18 and then moved onto horse racing. The money that I have blown I have no clue but it's ALOT!! I do dwell on it some days , but have decided to see that part of my life as a chapter that has now closed. I can't go back and rewrite my past but I'm determined to write one hell of a future.
    This support group has given me much support and I've loved going through other people's stories as we are all in this together. The loneliness of a gambling addict is unbearable. To look at - no one would ever guess I was an Addict but I am. Or was. Time will tell.

Here's to Day 3 tomorrow - the longest stint since I can remember.
    🍻🍻🍻
    0 x
    sherpa09 (facilitator)

Re: Day 2 - longest I have had off for a long time!!!

Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello,

I'm one of the new facilitators here and have found your story very inspiring. Well done on your journey thus far and look forward to further inspiration :)
    0 x
    How the F did I get here

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Good on you!!!!!
    And believe me when I say I totally understand the significance of 2 days gamble free is, when you would normally bet on those days. Sounds ridiculous to outsiders that 2 days gamble free is a massive thing, but us gamblers all know just hpw significant it is.

I also think of what I have taken from my child because of gambling and that more than the money is the hard part to accept.

The time and perhaps lack of attention when I was depressed as fu $%! After loosing all my money. And a short temper with my child due to anger at myself and depression.

We need to do this for our kids!!!
    Good luck and well done on a massive 2 days gamble free!
    0 x
    Dre

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

Hi im new to this and just joined up. My problem is only minor and dont want it to get bigger. I might only gamble $200 bucks a week but i could be saving that money. I only gamble when im bored. I get home and i need to do something because of how bored i get so i might go to the pokies to keep my self entertained. Today is day 1 of me stopping. Anybody got any suggestion of things i can do to keep myself entertained to avoid gambling?
    0 x
    Mona58

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm

There is quite a lot you can do. Check out your local community center... look in the local paper. Evening courses.. art an craft classes.. line dancing.... walking groups the list goes on. I am sure you will find something.

All the best.
    0 x
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius

Return to “Your Diary of Recovery”