Feel **** , day eight bust

This forum is designed for you to chart your progress in working to overcome your gambling concerns and your ongoing recovery. Take us all on your road to recovery!

Re: Feel **** , day eight bust

Postby Jerry (facilitator) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:50 pm

I agree with Jeddie,

I think that in the long term, people need to learn how to save again and have access to cash.

Limiting your finances is however a wonderfully useful tool in the short term.

Starting with financial restrictions initially makes it easier to abstain, and you can use that time to start to develop other hobbies and ways of coping. Once you are used to your new ways of filling in time, coping with stress or celebrating, then you can start to look at having access to cash again.
Jerry (facilitator)

Postby Jeddie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:28 pm

I have found on my 93 day “journey� that I have had to learn how to actually keep money. Both in my purse and in my accounts. I have also kept some money at home which I have not rushed to the pokies with. Try with small amounts and gradually add to it.

93 days GF
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby fray » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:01 am

FG,

I know how you feel, i done the same thing on Wednesday. Was only $300 but felt like $3000 as i can't afford it.

I was on day 10.

Probably like you, when i have money it burns a hole in my pocket. We need to get rid of it in a more responsible way.

When there is no money i couldnt give one hoot about gambling, still the thought from time to time but can't action so the urge moves on.

Great advice from the other guys to give up cards and wages to another person, i might try this for myself.

Let us beat this dreaded disease, being broke sucks.

Dabo
fray

Postby Mona58 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:52 am

Keep yourself busy... don't over think, One step at a time.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby FG » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:29 am

Four seemingly simple words that have such depth .
WIN BY NOT GAMBLING
getting it tattooed on my forehead :):):)
FG

Postby Mona58 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:39 am

That will be something you need to constantly remind yourself... the consequences. When a urge arrives... STOP and think. WIN by Not gambling.
Mona58

Postby FG » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:51 am

Day one again and I would have no trouble borrowing a few hundred but I am not going too . Borrow , repay , borrow repay always chasing my tail . A few years back I racked up nearly a hundred grand on credit cards at the time I was using one to pay the other and had to re mortgage the house to get out of the hole I had dug obviously this placed a massive strain on our marriage , at the time I promised it would never happen again , if my wife knew the extent of my gambling she would leave for sure this time . I do not own credit cards now but somehow I have always found ways to support my habit . Beg steal or borrow as they say . No more . As you say I can do this and I will do this .
FG

Postby Mona58 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:55 pm

It is your posts that keep us strong. When I first started I read and read and read posts everyday... over and over till I was overwhelmed. Each day I would find something l needed to keep going. I posted everyday details of what was happening in my mind and my feelings... confusing sometimes only to be assured they were "normal" and will pass.

It is very strange somedays... like laughing simply because washing the dishes has new meaning ... I don't feel grumpy anymore not even when I had problems with my internet / phone ... All this takes getting used to. Normal seems unique.
Mona58

Postby FG » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:47 pm

Thankyou for the encouragement and ideas Mona58 and jeddie , feeling pissed off with myself at the moment I’ll get over it . I intend to beat this addiction so you are stuck with me , possibly to your misfortune .
FG

Postby Mona58 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Well said jeddie.

You can do it FG!. Fight those temptations and urges by reminding yourself why you wanted to stop gambling. Have a plan in place for payday... work on your strengths ... focus on positives of living gamble free. Try not to be to down about the last bust BUT also don't forget it.
Mona58

Next

Return to Your Diary of Recovery