Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Bit of a sobering thought

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Dave68

Bit of a sobering thought

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:26 am

Was finishing my delivery round this morning and since my car's radio has ceased to function since Nov 2013, i have used this time as 'thinking time' about stuff, and a lot of that has been spent just reminding myself what my gambling has done to me. I am sure it helped me eventually give up in April last year, and remain pokie free since then.

But i was thinking as i passed a venue on the way home...i'd probably have lost $250K on the machines in the 15-odd years i played them, and started to think about that in $50 notes, and how many must i have shoved into the slots in this time. It's a scary prospect when i used this formula.

Say six second for each note to feed into the machine and it to register that as credits. That's 10 in a minute, $500.

In an hour that's $30,000 or 600 $50 notes.

Then...extrapolate that to how long it would take feeding $50's into the slot to add up to the $250K.....and it's over 8 hours straight of feeding $50 notes into a machine. Bloody hell....that's mind boggling to think that an otherwise sensible person who really thinks big time about spending anything nowadays could have mind-numbingly done that over the years. For sure nobody would do that if it was in one sitting. But for those who are struggling to stop, think about that aspect of things. It's scary to think effectively that is what i have done in my life, and that sort of money would more than pay the mortgage i have on my place. It's just another reminder that i had to stop and get away from pokie venues, and just how stupid i was to do this for so long. Nothing will ever get this money back, but maybe that vision of what feeding the machines over the period of time you have gambled is something that may make you think again before putting another note in the slot.
    1 x
    pamela

Re: Bit of a sobering thought

Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:10 pm

When you break it down it really is a scary thing.yet we fed the machines so readily..not any more
    0 x
    doug

Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Those hungry machine bastxxxds
    You are doing good Dave you still seem to be on guard which is a great thing...
    0 x
    GameChanger (facilitator)

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi Dave, thanks very much for your post, it really does shine an entirely different light on things. I wonder though whether the type of thinking that you're advocating requires standing back from things, taking a macro perspective on the financial implications of gambling: something that seems very difficult in the moment when confronted with the urge to gamble. However, crucial to recognise regardless. A timely reminder Dave, and keep up the great work.
    0 x
    doug

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:25 pm

Hope you are doing well
    0 x
    Dave68

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Well, remaining gamble free, so it's now approaching 20 months now. Probably clicked over the 600 day mark, but as i've said before, having gambled all my working life from 18 to age almost 46 that was over 9500 days, a ghastly thought now. I am looking at the perspective that i am still 8900 days 'behind' as such, although to be frank it's something that will never be righted. The damage is done, the money lost at a time when it's purchasing power (particularly with property) was at it's peak, so it's all pushing the proverbial uphill from here.

I have come to terms with my situation, but it's of course still rather disheartening to know just how far behind my gambling has put me. I am just probably astounded at how long it took me to realise the folly of doing it. The fun, the excitement, the anticipation of the thought of winning seemed to fuel my gambling demon in my head for a stupid length of time. Even though walking out of a venue with nothing, having dropped several hundred dollars was far from a rare occurrence, it still never hit me that i should just stop doing this. There'd be times when perhaps i would be down say $500, and 'come back' as such to maybe be down $150 on the day, and my head would say that was a good outcome. It's remarkable what the brain will tell a gambler, and how powerful the urges are to keep doing it. But certainly from April 9 2014, it's been something i have put to bed so to speak. I haven't even gone into a venue with my friend to watch him play for months as well...mainly due to long work hours, but on times he's told me he's going in, i just don't feel any urge to go.

All i can do is just keep working, keep hoping that my regional suburb starts to see the housing price growth that Melbourne has had, and be as frugal as i can. The latter part is easy, i basically buy nothing but food and pay bills, clothing is a vexatious expense for me, i probably am lucky to spend any more than $250 a year on 'clothes' as such, and that's mainly work shoes and the occasional top. My car is 16 years old, i still haven't replaced the radio that ceased to function two years ago, and i am happy to just do this until my situation improves. But when you're $70K in debt plus paying a mortgage it's a slow process, one day if the house increases enough in value i may be able to refinance and bundle it all up in a mortgage. But it's just head down, bum up and work hard. I have to do it, nobody else will, and nobody but me got me into this situation. It is what it is to coin a modern phrase.
    1 x
    pamela

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Dave..when we finally open our eyes and our head clears it is quite a sobering thought the damage we have inflicted on ououelves and thevonly one who can get us out of this mess is ourselves.You have done a great job and at least you have a house..I just have debts..but with hard work and determination I will whittle away the debts.but at least I am not adding to them and I am not stressed every day.small steps but positive ones..and Dave if you sing .you wont need to fix the radio..lol..
    1 x
    Jesscia

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi, new here and I am so confuse where to start as I am here to start my treatment. Could anyone tell me how much it costs. I heard that its very expensive and even you have to sacrifice your pet food and your own clothing. is this true?
    0 x
    I just buy Amalfi homewares and lighting online Australia.
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Jessica, welcome to our community - really good to see you here connecting. This is a great place to start - you are already doing it :) .

There are lots of different types of support available and I'm sure folks here will be able to offer some thoughts about what's out there and available. The good news is that you can access FREE online, telephone and face to face support throughout Australia for gambling problems. A good place to start is the helpline 1800 858 858 or here with one of our online counsellors. They can link you in with free local services as well as talk about a plan of attack.

Let us know how you.
    0 x
    Halreycollins

Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:26 pm

I have been into gambling and those are the days I am not proud of it I didn't went for any rehab or got any consultancy ,
    I believe I was getting affraid of my self when I was giving all of my time and saving to gambling thing .
    Every night when I came home after poker I cried and deep down I knew it was all wrong.
    I just need to go away I went for road trip meet new people tasted new food and all in the end it was something that made my mind divert.
    My message is its your own will power nor a medicine or rehab can change until you stand on your will power.
    I work and the money I used for gambling now I used for shopping it is more fun doing.
    Some time I am afraid I could be addicted to shopping and traveling but still it is better then gambling.
    2 x
    Buy online bed sheets and sheet sets Australia Top brands

Return to “Change Makers”