Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • can I see the light

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Jo-Anne

Re: can I see the light

Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:44 am

It's an absolute pleasure Pamela......gosh we have some fantastic people on the forum don't we......Thank you for everything you are doing which has helped me and I'm sure many others. Have a great weekend yourself and congratulations on your brilliant effort to stay gambling free x :)
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks Jo-anne
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:27 am

Well I am delighted to say O am 8 months gamble free today..I never tought I could do it and it has'nt been easy but I rarely have an urge to gamble now..I admit to still having thoughts but not urges..life is pretty good at the moment...the debts will be around for awhile but like any disaster there is a clean up period so I know it will take time but I have plenty of that..keep saying no to gambling and have a great Easter 😊😊😊😊
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:51 am

You deserve all the happiness that you are feeling right now Pamela. You have done the hard yards, so now is the time to reap the rewards. I so hope that I will be writing the same post in a little over six months!! So wonderful that the urges have subsided for you. You are a shining example to us, that we can all make it. We just need to stick at it and remember that we will only win if we don't gamble.

I think about all the money the venues/agencies/government AREN'T making from us anymore ;) ;) . Wouldn't it be great if so many of us in Australia quit, so these places go out of business!! All the machines and gambling tables end up down the tip!! All the payday lenders go broke. Credit cards are just there for emergencies. I know I'm dreaming a tiny bit.....but it is fun and better than thinking about actually gambling.

I also have some long term debt like you. Isn't it fantastic we are not adding to it? I get all the good feelings associated with paying it back, and the regaining of self respect. Yes we can say we were so stupid, but living in the past won't solve anything and we are moving on!!

Pamela, have a lovely Easter, and thank you so much, that even after eight months you are still posting on the forum and helping so many of us with your inspiring determination :)
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Thanks Jo-Anne. I am proud of my effort and I owe a lot of it to the people here who have helped and inspired me along the way...you too are doing a great job and are very supportive..lets keep saying no to gambling :) :) :)
    0 x
    Jo-Anne

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:10 pm

We are so on the same page Pamela!!
    0 x
    pamela

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Abolutely..
    0 x
    pamela

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:30 am

Wow..8 and a half months gamble free..I never thought I would be able to pull myself away from the pokies but I have..and they no longer tempt me ..I still think about them but only for all the damage they caused..I love waking up and poker machines are not the first things I think of.there is life after gambling an I intend to live it..say no to gambling
    0 x
    Debra

Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Well done Pamela!
    That's amazing and inspiring. I'm 44 days pokie free today, but I hope I can make it to 8 and half months. What a strong woman you are.
    Congratulations xx
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:49 am

Sometimes when I wake up I wonder if I am the same person I was a few months ago..once before every waking thought was poker machines..I thought about them constantly..I would leave for work early so I could get some playing time ..I would order a take away and go and have a poke..they dominated my life for so long in so many ways..now all I think about them is how they have destroyed so much of my life..my past was very bleak and tormented but today I actually feel like I am really living..i still have huge debts but I am making a dent in them slowly..I honestly never thought I could turn my back on the pokies as they had been my source of relief for so long but here I am almost 9 months pokie free.and I owe a lot to everyone here for their honesty and support and help..together we can say no to these soul destroying machines and to any form of gambling..no gambling for me today
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”