Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • can I see the light

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    dragon007 (facilitator)

Re: can I see the light

Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 am

hi @pamela

It is lovely to rediscover again the simple pleasures in life, well done!

dragon007
    1 x
    pamela

Sat May 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Thank you..
    0 x
    pamela

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Welcome Winter..I hope this cold weather keeps you safe and warm at home.When I was gambling I used to think it was easier to go to a venue to keep warm , rather than use my heating at home.How wrong that was.
    Many people ask what to fill their time with If they don't gamble..I used to think that but there is so much on offer I am busy all the time and it doesn't always have to cost money.
    I tell people I felt safe when I gambled and it was when I walked out of a venue that I got scared..scared of what lay in front of me..but not any more..I am proud of my recovery and everyone here who is trying to stop..be proud of what you are doing.Accept set backs..but keep forging ahead ..you will become the victor
    Good luck
    5 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:37 am

and so you should be proud @pamela !
    1 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks BrittV..I am very proud
    1 x
    pamela

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 pm

I am approaching the end of the fourth year of being gamble free and it hasn't always been plain sailing..I haven't had any relapses ..but faced a few hurdles along the way..but I still enjoy the simple things .like putting petrol in my car when I feel like it..rather than wondering if my petrol will last till pay day..I used to not go to work sometimes because I had no petrol...small simple changes..
    Don't give up your fight to be gamble free..
    2 x
    Budstah

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Man it’s cool to see others in the same boat and Pamela’s 4 year victory, I didn’t realise till recently gambling was instilled in me from the age of 4, playing horse races with my grand mother on the radio, bingo with the aunties etc, my first jobs pays at 6 from washing cars and aluminium can recycling went on a lotto ticket lol. I was so confident I would win. 30 years later I didn’t realise all that was firmly instilled in me until I recognised I had a problem and saw a holistic psychologist.
    The pokies have haunted me on a high risk level for the last 10 years and after putting all into perspective, I’m ready for change, change for me my family and anyone else in my life, has put burdens on my loved ones n I didn’t care.
    Have Had no gambling for 8 days, and loving this site.
    2 x
    pamela

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Well Don Budstah on being 8 days gamble free..it's amazing how much your life can change when you stop gambling and how the simple pleasures make you happy.Keep up the good fight
    1 x
    pamela

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 am

I went with a friend on Monday into a pokies room while they put a dollar in a machine and felt nothing..nothing but emptiness for all the years that those machines allowed me to waste looking for a reason to hide from life.
    When you look around a venue all you see is a sea of faces staring blankly at a machine..waiting for what? A JACKPOT ? A miracle?. sure some people can play with a small amount of money and get up and walk away..but there are so many who hide behind an addiction that most times they don't even realise they have until it's too late.
    Please don't give up the fight to beat your habit..life is worth living and has so much to offer
    1 x
    Andy

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 am

That’s fantastic Pamela, I personally have never been addicted to the pokies or interested in playing them. Sports betting is my area of weakness, I can’t enjoy watching any sport at the moment.

One day that will change 😊

Have a great day!

Andy
    2 x

Return to “Change Makers”