can I see the light

Discuss and ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!

Re: can I see the light

Postby pamela » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:13 pm

Thanks Kristine for your kind words
pamela

Postby Elouisa » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:30 pm

Oh well done Pamela! Great stuff!
You have never wavered or weakened and your strength is to be admired.
Thanks for posting and sharing along the way with us.
Elouisa

Postby pamela » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:43 pm

Well I have to got to 6 months pokie free today and feel really good about it.I still have a few urges but nothing I can't control and they don't last long..I never thought I would make it this far and I owe a lot to the people on this forum who have offered help and support..still a long way to go but no pokies for me today
pamela

Postby pamela » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:19 am

Today it is 164 days that I have not fed a pokie machine and it feels great.I feel I have stopped living a lie and am living honestly for once.I go to sleep and wake up without pokies being the focus of my attention and it feels good.I still have thoughts about them but not urges. It is hard to begin with but I really appreciate the support I have got from this forum.So lets keep saying no to pokies.I will not feed a machine today
pamela

Postby pamela » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Thanks Suzy..I really appreciate all the support I have got here it means a lot to me.I have been inspired by peoples stories and that in iself makes me nevet want to gamble again.Suzy you have done a great job and always offer good advice and encouragement.I never thought I would evet stop gambling but I havent played for a long time now and I owe a lot of people for helping me..lets keep saying no
pamela

Postby Suzy1 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Pam you're amazing:) well done on your progress and thank you for your input into my recovery , happy new year :)
Suzy1

Postby pamela » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:43 am

Day 158 today and I cannot remember the last time I started New Year without gambling..how nice that feeling is ..I still have debts but I am not adding to them and at night I go to sleep without the stress and worry and my first waking thought is not poker machines..Dave you have done a fantastic job and so have you Kristine..lets keep saying no to those machines..Happy New Year
pamela

Postby pamela » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 am

Dave it is a sobering thought when you stsrt to think clearly and realize how much money has been lost over the years.and now I am just happy not to be adding to that still..How nice it is to start the New Year cleanly instead of sitting at a poker machine mindlessly feeding it.I am not totally confident yet that I wont play a machine again but I have no real urge to play and I hope never to have an urge again.I will take each day at a time and be happy I havent gambled for nearly 6 months
pamela

Postby Dave68 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Nice stuff Pamela, approaching a half year now, and it's great when you think of how much money you are not wasting when not playing those pernicious machines.

I'm still on my journey of eradicating losing money on the pokies, it's now approaching 20 months. I think that side of it is pretty much safe now. But the tough part is repairing the damage (or even trying to think about how bad the damage is) to my financial situation given i gambled for 28 years. I'm happily able to play the FB apps with absolutely no desire to ever spend a cent on them in real life, i play my free tokens and if they run out i wait until another day. Thankfully the link for me of playing the pokie app and playing a real pokie is broken insofar as needing to use money to do them.

But i can only say to those who may be able to identify they have a problem with gambling of any sort, but especially pokies for money, is to get off them. Think about that money you lose, the time you need to work to make it back up, and the forgone opportunities not having that money in times gone by could have done for you. I was losing money in the 80's and 90's on the TAB....50K of that would have got a house back then. Now (or at least in 2010) i needed to pay $260K to get a house, so my gambling has in a way cost me five times the price. That's a sobering thought, money lost now becomes much more valuable when you think what it would own in future times when prices rise.

Every dollar you lose gambling is a dollar of lost opportunity and a penalty unit in work you need to do to regain it. You lose twice over, and in probably many more ways too. Why it took so long to register for me i cannot explain. But my only hope is that others don't need to gamble for 28 years to find out the folly of doing it.
Dave68

Postby Suzy1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:41 pm

Pamela that's fantastic , you've come a long way , have a happy new year pokie free :)
Suzy1

PreviousNext

Return to The Courtyard