Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • can I see the light

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: can I see the light

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:55 am

Hi SLM..
    When I decided to stop gambling I went cold Turkey..
    My "light bulb moment happened one particularly bad night ,driving home from work after losing all my pay,again,and without thinking or stopping I turned a corner and almost clipped the wheels of a cyclist..
    I knew then that I had to do something because I was consumed with guilt.
    When I got home I rang the Gambling Help line and they were really supportive,the next morning I made an appointment to see a counsellor and I have not gambled since that night.
    Was it tough?
    Of course,but I couldn't go on like that any longer,I was consumed by thoughts of gambling..
    I had to rethink..and retrain my brain
    Every morning I would tell myself
    "I won't gamble today"
    I changed the route I drove too and from work so I didn't drive past my favourite venues..
    I did the 100 day challenge on here..
    Now,it's nearly 6 years since I stopped and life (apart from my recent loss)couldn't be better
    I am unencumbered by the chains of gambling
    2 x
    pamela

Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:34 pm

I have been reflecting these last few months about gambling and how it affected my life and the things that sent me to a venue.
    I think we all have problems with our lives,our families,our jobs,or the lack of these things.
    I know whenever something got me down I gambled,when I was happy,I gambled.
    My life has changed a lot in the last 3 months,I lost my partner of 18 years,I was forced to find a new place to live..
    Really tough,and a few years ago this would have sent me into a gambling frenzy..but.i know it would just bring more misery..and I actually can deal with what life throws at me without the need to seek refuge in the lights and sounds of a poker machine.
    We can all get off the gambling merrygoround and retrain our brain..it just needs a different mind set.
    Don't give up or give in😀
    1 x
    Printemps

Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:44 am

Hi @pamela , I'm so sorry to hear about your partner. That combined with having to find a new home must have been incredibly stressful. But from what you're saying it sounds like you've developed some really good coping strategies! Your constant support of this forum, and being so open up your own experiences has been so important, thank you so much, and please look after yourself right now :);
    1 x
    pamela

Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:19 pm

Thankyou..it has been tough, but I have learnt to be strong
    1 x
    Anita44

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:15 am

Hi Pamela I been read your journey, sorry for your lost it's must be very hard, but I'm sure you can get thought this, just take time.
    It's feel like I am on the same boat as you about pokies, either I'm happy or sad I'm still love the pokies machine, I would gamble until I don't have any money, I will swear to myself all the way home, why I'm so fu cken stupid in the head. I was so scare to go home and my partner would ask where have I been etc, I always telling him to true I never make up any story that the good thing about me, that why I'm here at this forums needed help before too late.
    2 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:58 am

Hi Anita 44..they are addictive..ask yourself why you love them,because let's face it..they only ever bring misery..
    Once you decide to stop..its like a weight has been lifted,and although it's a hard road to travel.
    It is worth it.
    Ask your partner to help you and work together..you can do this
    3 x
    Anita44

Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm

Hi Pamela totally agree with you, that why last 37day gamble free been life changer to me, I been treat myself getaway, and shopping etc and I still just manage to paid off a few big bill, I'm very lucky that I don't need to see financial advice cos my partner was help me out a bit, will start my saving in 2 week time.
    I just have to keep telling myself everyday that I proud n bless just don't go back to that bad habit again, their no life for me if I gamble again.
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi @pamela,

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, and on top having to move to a new place must have been quite stressful...

Your journey is remarkable, and I'm sure many here will be able to relate to it. You've definitely hit the nail and articulated it beautifully in your reflection, at the end of the day we're all chasing happiness in one form or the other.

I can't stress enough how valuable your contributions on the forums are, from sharing your story to constantly motivating others. Thank you for sharing that positive energy with everyone here! :);
    0 x
    pamela

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:25 am

Thankyou ..I had a lot of help and encouragement along the way and this forum helped me,so I want to be able give something back
    1 x
    pamela

Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi everyone..
    I have just reached 6 years of being gamble free.I once thought that I would be on the treadmill of despair for ever,but I jumped off..feet first..and have never looked back
    You can make a change ,if you really want to
    Life is for living
    4 x

Return to “Change Makers”