Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • My gambling story

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    pamela

Re: My gambling story

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Andy and well done.Keep working towards having the best wedding ever.And the best life.Already you are starting to feel good about yourself..keep heading in this direction
    0 x
    Andy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 pm

20 days GF. I admittedly checked scores during Wimbledon today but thats as far as it went.

Staying strong, staying true to myself and reinforcing the bigger picture.

Thanks 💪
    2 x
    LilNoob

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:48 pm

Just read through most of your thread. Even with your relapses, I think it’s pretty inspirational that you keep on fighting.
    Thanks for sharing your story with us.
    2 x
    Andy

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Cheers LilNoob.

Great news to report that I am 45 days GF. Not only that but the honeymoon has been paid for. I have kept the missus in the loop and let her know often how many days GF I’ve been.

With that said it hasn’t come without the thought of gambling. I am glad Wimbledon is finished. AFL is also another sport I’ve loved to gamble on in the past. You know thoughts thoughts of seeing 3:1 or 4:1 to see the team you thought would win, win. Then the whole mentality of thinking what if I put $1000 on them, oh wish I did etc. those thoughts are very raw!

I haven’t told my missus the temptations I have had, but they are there.

How I stop myself from following through with the gamble? I remember that I cannot simply take the odd punt. Over the years all it does is start a big gambling cycle and addiction at betting on anything and everything.

My family are important to me. I wouldn’t want to be married to a gambler. My wife to be deserves better than that. I don’t want any of my three children adopting terrible habits from their father.

So, that’s how I chose not to gamble.

Thanks all 🙏

Andy
    1 x
    pamela

Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Well done Andy..keep focusing on your family and those thoughts will keep diminishing..
    0 x
    BrittV (facilitator)

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:07 am

Well done Andy, that's really great, and some awesome insights! !
    0 x
    Andy

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 pm

The penny dropped yesterday. My missus asked again how much I lost during my last binge.

I told her the truth, she cried and was so disappointed 😔 As I expected.

Her father is a gambler and was one when she was growing up. Their family had to have less so he funded his gambling habit. She reminded herself and me that she didn’t want to be with a gambler.

I couldn’t say anything to make her feel better but try to reassure her of my success so far and plan to never gamble again. I uttered that if I were her I wouldn’t want to be with a gambler either.

She started pondering all the things that the money could have gone towards. The wedding, time off so i could spend time with the family. I have done many 100 hour weeks. A new car deposit, upgrades in our current house.

I just had to take the punches, I was already aware of allllll these things. That’s what as gamblers we think about constantly after having devastating losses.

I’m very saddened that I have made the love of my life so upset.

I can’t go back to gambling there just is no exceptions. To make myself upset, depressed, angry at my actions is one thing. For my decisions and actions to upset my fiancé the way they have. There’s nothing I can say/help her unless I completely commit and quit this habit.

Peace out. 47 days GF

Andy
    0 x
    pamela

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:19 am

You are absolutely right..your fiance and your life together is way more important than gambling..be strong and look forward to a happy life together
    0 x

Return to “The Courtyard”