Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
  • My gambling story

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: My gambling story

Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear about your lapse - it's very hard not to feel disappointment when this happens, and all too normal. But as Keeton says, lapse is part of the cycle - making mistakes is how we learn as human beings. So, if there's something you can take out of the recent gambling experience e.g., perhaps a better understanding of your triggers, that's a positive. What do you think?

All the best,
    Charlotte
    1 x
    Wiseman

Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Hey there. Still on the punt Andy? Let us know you're ok. It's a hard addiction to break, many relapse over and over again.

Stay strong and disciplined.
    1 x
    At wits end

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:55 pm

Hi Andy
    I hope you are okay and come back to the forum soon.
    My heart goes out to you as your online sports betting situation is identical to my partners.
    I feel a murderous rage towards the predators in the betting industry who lure my partner back with special offers and emails. The main culprit is betfair.

We should be millionaires but instead he is broke and in massive debt.
    It's heartbreaking.

He has had breaks in gambling, sometimes months, but inevitably a life stressor will trigger him.
    Especially when he feels powerless and sees his future taken from him.
    He ends up self sabotaging and destroying himself before someone else does.

Addiction and compulsion are tough demons to beat so it's no surprise that people like you and my partner can have great determination, insight and strength but sometimes it beats you.

I believe with each successful break from gambling it will become more achievable to have a much longer period of gambling free living.

My very best wishes to you, Andy.
    1 x
    thanh son

Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:21 pm

hi Andy, how are you keeping up with sport bets? can you give it a whack for good just checking in to see y how your progress..i m like you bet on every sports you can named it.and even playing pokies as well! i try to quit, and will see face to face councelling soon...as my gambling habits just like a car going down hill without brakes...i m deeply in debts mostly credit cards and personal loans..to a point that i m consider going to declare bankruptcy..so i hope you can give up those sport bets...and living a more enjoyable live!
    1 x
    danny

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:05 pm

Andy,

Relapse is unfortunate.

I have lost count of how many times I had done in the past 12 years.

but this time I did it. I completed the challenge and the urge is 95 percent gone.

Everytime I feel better I just had to remind myself it is the benefits of quitting.

I still owe a considerable amount of money but I can see it going down.

Thats not the main thing, even sometimes I feel the debts is not reducing at the rates that I wish it could be, I do realise I am actually enjoying my life once again. I got to be stress free and always worrying about the next bets and how much I could make from the tables and losses etc.

Hang in there my friend I hope you will be back soon and update us how u going.

Danny
    1 x
    Andy

Tue May 10, 2016 12:11 am

Hello everyone,

Doing the walk of shame again.

I had quite a vicious cycle of gambling since the last relapse.

Where do I start? I'm just going to write down what I'm thinking. I got sucked in, and upon looking back I can't believe I made it 48 days. I had another overseas trip this time Bali, I won approximately 3500 early in the year and lost 5000 in the space of 2-3 weeks in March. What an idiot.

It did make me stop... Initially "mainly because we were going away and I didn't want to lose our holiday $" I didn't gamble while away but did look at scores occasionally "it's what I did when bored" just like how people check Facebook and refresh "new stories" that's how my brain kind of functions anyway.

When we got back into the country i had a couple of punts on the AFL and lost. This caused me to get angry at myself and the whole gambling addiction habit again. I banned myself for 6 months from betfair, Sportsbet and bet365.

I'm going okay. I'm 22 days in without having a punt, am I proud? I honestly don't know.. A little? I can definitely tell you I miss the high and chance factor, the thrill of a win.. Gosh it's incredible and I'm on top of the world, but the lows are bad. I have to say that "addiction" the fix, the chance, the thrill it's all so bloody real. How can you get the same high without gambling? Yeah I have money and it grows but slowly, I can pay for things but I can't get the high I'm used to.

i am determined to kick this habit but it's not easy.

Advertisements all over the tv for Sportsbet ladbrokes, bet365, Tom Waterhouse. Then at the end gamble responsibly.. Get stuffffffed, yeah right. I pick up on all those bloody adverts, my girlfriend isn't sensitive to it all. It's just an advert to her where I find myself swearing at the tv whenever I see another advertisement.

Like others I have come here more recently just to have a read. Especially when I'm thinking about gambling.

22 days is about to come 23. So I'll just keep going and keep swearing at advertisements as they pop up. I'm doing my footy tips and even at the bottom it has an odd for the multi if I bet one dollar, for getting 9/9 correct tips there's a figure I could possibly win. It's sad

With odds posted before the games its almost unenjoyable to view sport anymore because in the back of my brain odds are constantly changing.

Thanks for the messages of support and apologies for relapsing, it's such a cruel addiction.

Andy
    1 x
    Andy

Tue May 10, 2016 12:17 am

At wits end wrote: I believe with each successful break from gambling it will become more achievable to have a much longer period of gambling free living.
    I hope so.
    0 x
    Andy

Tue May 10, 2016 12:27 am

danny wrote:
    I do realise I am actually enjoying my life once again. I got to be stress free and always worrying about the next bets and how much I could make from the tables and losses etc.
    Danny
    True Danny on the stress free, but at the same token I'm so used to taking chances and it fills in for boredom. So sometimes I think my life is a bit to predictable. Gambling sets me into such a trance of excitement but we all know the party has to end and it's always filled with regret, I just have to keep reminding myself this.

Andy
    1 x
    Jo-Anne

Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 am

Hi Andy Welcome back to the forum. Sorry you have had such a difficult time. it is fantastic that you have come back and have got to day 24. Brilliant. I have found during the past 99 days (100 days finished tomorrow) that working on triggers is the most important. If I was at risk of relapsing I would come on the forum straight away and post honestly. The support and encouragement received is fantastic, and also just having to think about writing it all down reduces the urges. I agree with you about the ads.....I love the ABC, but on the odd occasion I am watching commercial TV, I get really angry about allowing these ads on TV. They should be banned like smoking ads. I wish you well Andy and look forward to supporting you through the challenge and beyond....Yes it is a cruel addiction, please do not apologise to us.......we have all been there and understand completely :)
    1 x
    pamela

Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Andy..I agree we all enjoyed the rush of excitement from a win but the only true winners are the pokie venues and the gambling sites.the flutter of excitement doesnt last as long as the feeling of desolation and despair.something I dont miss.I used to say to my consellor that I felt cheated when I stopped gambling as I lost the one thing that I thought belonged to me and kept me sane..BUT I know they were the things that drove me to despair...I do not miss them at all.no gambling for me today
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”