Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Road to recovery

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    M_4567

Re: Check in

Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:46 pm

I like what you are doing with the grateful thing... what a good way to look at the positive, and not look at 'what you could have' through maybe gambling... cause what you would have is a whole lot less as we know.
    keep it up.
    0 x
    Keeton

Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Couldn't do it today. Gambled hopelessly. Still have little bit left but I have had enough of feeling worhtless and depressed. Going to sign self exclusion for the remaining two venues tomorrow as they are where I go and gamble. Once they are cut off I can't go anywhere else and next week I won't lose any money to gambling. The only reason i went to those venues was only to gamble, never did anything else, so won't be missed.

I'm not going to beat myself up because relapse is part of recovery and I am not going to let it stop me from being rid of the pokies and all forms of gambling. other people can do it so now I need to also.

So that's 6 days gambling free and 1 relapse. Each day not spent gambling is progress.

Almost forgot... today i am grateful that I own a car because it would be hard without it.

starting phone councelling next week so that will help me also
    0 x
    Noah (facilitator)

Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:30 am

Hi Keeton,
    Sounds like a rough day yesterday! But I like how you're thinking about it as part of the process of recovery ... having a look at what made the relapse possible and cutting off those options for the future. Hope you like the phone counselling next week!! Thanks for sharing this.
    Noah
    0 x
    Keeton

Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:56 pm

today I have won. I self excluded from the remaining two venues so now there is nowhere to go and gamble next week. They will even do it for a few dozen other clubs around as well which will also be a big help. feels good knowing that next weeks pay won't be wasted.

It can only get better from here.
    0 x
    Keeton

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

Doing really well. Last two weeks i haven't lost my wages which is exciting and relieving. it was hard but I was just sick of not having money and constantly seeing money disappear from the bank account. Last week I actually bought things with my money instead of going to the pokies. They are an escape but I don't want to excape anymore because my life is better away from the gambling environment.

Before I self excluded from one of the pubs I witnessed what gambling can do to families. This lady had been there when I got there and was betting really high but didn't seem to win anything. I could tell from that It wasn't about the money for her. a bit later her husband came in and started abusing her and telling her to hand over the credit card. He was angry that she was there and he said that she was on her own, then he stormed out and left her there. Even after this she kept playing her big hits even though it was probably destroying her family and finances.

this moment still stays with me and It was clear then that gambling does destroy lives. After that I took my money and sign self exlcusion. If thats what I am paying for then I don';t want to be a part of it. that Is what I am supporting by feeding those 50s into the machines. I hope she got some help.

So I am doing great at the moment. I got paid yesterday and i haven't spent any of it on gambling. It felt amazing to actually buy things that I get something out of. i am actually looking forward to being on a budget and saving what I can.

also was able to afford to go to the movies today which was good entertainment and actual value for money.

Til next time,

Keeton
    0 x
    Richard6

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:53 am

Excellent Keeton..
    Keep growing stronger and do not gamble.

You know the trauma associated with problem gambling so you might as well stay away from it aye :)
    0 x
    AmandaB

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Hey Keeton
    How is the self exclusion going for you?
    0 x
    Keeton

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:00 pm

Hey there,

It's going well.. I do admit I did drive 20km to a different venue today to gamble but I am not letting that hiccup kick me off track from quitting. It does take a lot of power to resist those urges but it is rewarding to not go and still have all the money. I don't work to give my money to a machine but that is exactly what I was doing. I just have to keep fighting. I did find that even after a week of not gambling, nothing has changed in regards to gambling. I lose money and I always will If I gamble it. I will just have to accept that pokies are not for me to do and there are better things out there.

Yes the self exclusion does help because it gives me a barrier to gamble and makes me stop and think twice about going. While I did relapse I am still focused to be rid of gambling because there is not future in it and I will always be addicted to the rush.

I have also recently taken up rowing as well which gives me a real adrenaline rush that gambling gaves me. It will give me something to look forward to and be excited about.

I hope your journey is going well,

All the best

Keeton
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey Keeton, good to hear you staying focused on the goal of quitting. Sounds like there have been challenges along the way which is pretty normal...just wondering you mentioned that the rowing will give you abit of a rush like gambling, have you found any activities that might give you a bit of an escape. You mentioned this another post and I was curious... wanting an escape isnt a bad thing, i reckon we can all do with a break from life now and then ;) ...it's just how you get it. Any ideas from other folks here who may have gambled for a similar reason - what worked for you?
    0 x
    Keeton

Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Hey Anna,

yeah I see what you mean. In a way they were an excape from everyday life. I play games and read instead of the pokies. I also like going on computer and listening to music. These are better excapes because they don't take my money. I also walk the dogs which gives me about an hour to let my thoughts happen and for me to just relax.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”