Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • OOPS

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Bull

OOPS

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 pm

So I went on that gambling trip with my friends that I was talking about a while ago. For a long time now I have had control when playing poker. I'd leave after one buy-in, suppress the urge to re-buy, walk away knowing that losing in poker can happen even when you're ahead...

Not this time :'(

I initially said I'd go on this trip because it wasn't going to be based around gambling. Then it turned out to be and I think now, looking back, I knew that I'd struggle to stay off the tables. I just love the game so much. The thrill of winning, the look on my opponent's face when I show a bluff. The feeling of hitting the river...

It was all too much for me and I lost $6 in 2 nights. Had to borrow money off my best mate just to get through the rest of the trip, and now he's really worried about me. Truth is I only told him I lost $2k.

Most of it went during one session where they all went out and partied and I decided to come home early. I said I wasn't feeling well (true story) but because I didn't want to feel like a loser and a loner I went and sat at an expensive table playing for stakes I wouldn't normally play for. I just felt invincible and I was for the first half hour, making 2.5k in a few hands. But then it all went. I made wrong moves, I got bad beated, everything...

Now I come back only to realise my employer is trying to cut down on jobs and I'm no longer guaranteed a good income (thought I was getting promoted this year but it hasn't happened yet).

So I'm 6k down and rent is due in a few weeks.

I'm completely screwed
    0 x
    BriM

RE: OOPS

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:11 am

Bull (6/02/2013)So I went on that gambling trip with my friends that I was talking about a while ago. For a long time now I have had control when playing poker. I'd leave after one buy-in, suppress the urge to re-buy, walk away knowing that losing in poker can happen even when you're ahead...

I initially said I'd go on this trip because it wasn't going to be based around gambling. Then it turned out to be and I think now, looking back, I knew that I'd struggle to stay off the tables. I just love the game so much. The thrill of winning, the look on my opponent's face when I show a bluff. The feeling of hitting the river...

It was all too much for me and I lost $6 in 2 nights. Had to borrow money off my best mate just to get through the rest of the trip, and now he's really worried about me. Truth is I only told him I lost $2k.

Most of it went during one session where they all went out and partied and I decided to come home early. I said I wasn't feeling well (true story) but because I didn't want to feel like a loser and a loner I went and sat at an expensive table playing for stakes I wouldn't normally play for. I just felt invincible and I was for the first half hour, making 2.5k in a few hands. But then it all went. I made wrong moves, I got bad beated, everything...

Now I come back only to realise my employer is trying to cut down on jobs and I'm no longer guaranteed a good income (thought I was getting promoted this year but it hasn't happened yet).

I'm completely screwed
    Bull! Mate. Argh, how frustrating. You must be feeling pretty low right now I imagine. What are you going to do, do you reckon? What are your first steps? I don't envy you at all, but don't be too hard on yourself. You've been doing so well, and I know it's a lot of money, but it's just one slip up, and now you can work on getting back on your feet
    0 x
    doug

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm

hi Bull you sound like a very honest guy, it takes alot of courage to tell us about your trip..but i am glad you did.

hopefully you can channel that courage in a way to help yourself ...keep trying..
    0 x
    Doug who's the good dog?
    Bull

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 am

Brion (11/02/2013)
    Bull (6/02/2013)So I went on that gambling trip with my friends that I was talking about a while ago. For a long time now I have had control when playing poker. I'd leave after one buy-in, suppress the urge to re-buy, walk away knowing that losing in poker can happen even when you're ahead...

I'm completely screwed
    Bull! Mate. Argh, how frustrating. You must be feeling pretty low right now I imagine. What are you going to do, do you reckon? What are your first steps? I don't envy you at all, but don't be too hard on yourself. You've been doing so well, and I know it's a lot of money, but it's just one slip up, and now you can work on getting back on your feet
    What am I going to do? Well, that's the first thing I thought of the other day and guess what I did...
    0 x
    BriM

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am

Bull (13/02/2013)
    Brion (11/02/2013)

I'm completely screwed
    What am I going to do? Well, that's the first thing I thought of the other day and guess what I did...
    You mean again?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”