Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Self-exclusion

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Redav

Self-exclusion

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 am

hi everyone

my counsellor keeps talking about this self-exclusion thing. im not sure if i should go on it, i kinda feel like if i go on it i'll onnly stop gambling because i'm not allowed to gamble, not because i have actually be cured.

if anyone is on it i'd love to hear your thoughts on whether or not it works. i'm really struggling at the moment
    0 x
    BriM

RE: Self-exclusion

Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

Hey Redav,

Sorry to hear you're strugging at the moment, mate. Have things become worse? Or are they just the same? Blended into one big ugly struggle?

I agree with you that self-exclusion probably won't 'cure' you. If you're still seeing a counsellor at the same time though, and working through the gambling at a deeper level, self-excluding might allow you the space to separate yourself from what can really feel like an addiction (like going cold turkey almost?) and give you the space to do some other activities instead of gambling. And maybe you'll find that that it becomes less and less of a habit if you know that you don't have the 'opportunity' to do it. I read some research once that spoke about how people recovering from drug addiction in rehab remarked so often on the fact they had NO cravings, becuase they'd removed themselves from the environment in which they had the opportunity to take drugs. I sort of think of self-exclusion like this, I suppose.

What do you think?

Bri
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”