Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Been invited to a gambling holiday...

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Bull

Been invited to a gambling holiday...

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Hmmm danger danger Will Robinson!

My close mates are all into poker just like I am (no surprise there). They probably dont know how much I used to play and for them it's a social event. We all decided to go on a holiday soon and initially it was going to play golf (I'm so crap at it but love playing it). Now, they're thinking of just going to Star City and smashing the poker tables

I love this bunch of friends and don't want to say no to going with them but I'm not sure if I can hold back the urge to turn into a mini Joe Hachem and just play until I go blue in the face...

arggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

RE: Been invited to a gambling holiday...

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Bull (22/01/2013)Hmmm danger danger Will Robinson!

My close mates are all into poker just like I am (no surprise there). They probably dont know how much I used to play and for them it's a social event. We all decided to go on a holiday soon and initially it was going to play golf (I'm so crap at it but love playing it). Now, they're thinking of just going to Star City and smashing the poker tables

I love this bunch of friends and don't want to say no to going with them but I'm not sure if I can hold back the urge to turn into a mini Joe Hachem and just play until I go blue in the face...

arggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Argh indeed Bull, ... I can see your dilemma and you sound really torn. You said that they ‘probably' don't know – is there a chance that they might?.... has anyone else had a dilemma like this, any advice?
    0 x
    Bull

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Well they probably don't know because just like anyone with a gambling problem I used to selectively tell them my wins/losses. I'd always tell them my wins, and always tell them my bad beats. I'd never tell them when I screwed up and lost because of my own mistakes. So I guess there was a bias per se.

The holiday is going ahead and it will be mainly a gambling one. We're staying at Star City and a couple are even entering some poker tournaments .
    0 x
    AnnaB (facilitator)

Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Hey Bull,

Thanks for the update. So, the holiday is on and it sounds like you are going ... can I ask what's your plan of attack?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”