Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Phoenix

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Just to update on things to do to keep us occupied, have you heard about this competition site.... http://www.competitionsguide.com.au/joi ... oCHGHw_wcB which was featured on Today Tonight a while ago. It may be a bit too close to that feeling of gambling because we are trying to win something but I am going to give it a go. If it stirs the gambling demon in me I will stop immediately but if it doesn't, I thought this looks like it would be quite a time consuming past time and if I win something well that would be a bonus!

I will sign up today and keep you all posted on my progress. If you want to check out the Today Tonight story on it, you can find it here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwa7r6qfDWs
    0 x
    Phoenix

Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 am

Update on the Competition site... from what I have seen so far there is a ton of marketing crap associated with conditions of entering Competitions on this site and there are even offers to join gambling sites, scratchies etc. so tread carefully my fellow recovering gamblers. If you still want to check it out I would suggest creating a separate email address to use for registration so if you get inundated with spam you can just walk away from the email address.
    0 x
    doug

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:34 pm

hi

I currently doing the 30 day plank challenge..

On day three, wow a whole 30 seconds...

I may not complete to the 300 second mark.

but compared to giving up gambling it is easy so far.

and I guess I am bored lol

hang in there friends
    0 x
    Doug who's the good dog?
    Miranda

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:18 pm

To keep my mind off gambling I am taking an interest in the garden, doing small renovations in the house, starting on de-cluttering (that will take me well over the 100 day challenge as I am on Day 7 now).
    I also try to wear my daggy clothes when I go out so I'm not tempted to slip into the RSL on my way home. Also, I know once I get my car back into the garage I very rarely want to go back out again, so try to have a reason to get home asap; like having to put food into the fridge, etc.
    Also try to keep busy and go out with friends who are not gamblers. It is lovely out in the sunshine, chatting and enjoying.
    0 x
    helz

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Miranda (19/09/2014)To keep my mind off gambling I am taking an interest in the garden, doing small renovations in the house, starting on de-cluttering (that will take me well over the 100 day challenge as I am on Day 7 now).
    I also try to wear my daggy clothes when I go out so I'm not tempted to slip into the RSL on my way home. Also, I know once I get my car back into the garage I very rarely want to go back out again, so try to have a reason to get home asap; like having to put food into the fridge, etc.
    Also try to keep busy and go out with friends who are not gamblers. It is lovely out in the sunshine, chatting and enjoying.
    Great tips Miranda! I love your "insurance policies" - wearing daggy clothes so you wont go to the club, making sure you have something cold that needs to go in the fridge - lo tech but effective!!! :-)
    0 x
    GameChanger (facilitator)

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi Silvia, I can see this is your first post and just wanted to welcome you to the forum. If you're experiencing a problem with gambling yourself, I hope you find a lot of openness here and support in your battle against it.
    0 x
    Glen1

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 am

I'm currently studying a bachelor of business. So I have decided to take on an extra subject as well do a public speaking course (oh what fun haha) to give me the confident again
    0 x
    Glen1

Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:28 am

I'm currently studying a bachelor of business. So I have decided to take on an extra subject as well do a public speaking course (oh what fun haha) to give me the confident again
    0 x
    kosmok

Re: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 am

Hi all, I saw a psychiatrist to help me when I admitted to family and friends I had a problem and it was such great help not because I had someone to talk to but because he explained the chemical reaction behind addictions (was quite interesting) and basically how exercise was one of the best forms of producing endorphins and regulating the brains dobamine production. So keeping active not only keeps you busy but can actually help reduce the urge for not only gambling but all addictions.

Hope this wasnt too nerdy for everyone, I just found it very interesting and made a lot of sense :)

Good luck everyone!
    0 x
    Charlotte (facilitator)

Re: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:20 pm

I think that's really valuable information; exercise is indeed a great way of producing natural endoprhins. Really good to hear that seeing the psychiatrist has been helpful for you!

Charlotte
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”