Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us tonight from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Sue4

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:42 pm

I like making things, big and small haven't done it for awhile so I think I put some ideas down on paper.Model building is great and keeps your head down and focused.
    Helping someone out often leaves one feeling good. Mow a lawn clean up a garden good physical stuff.
    Perhaps take an older person dog for a walk.

I'll be keeping these in mind when I'm next climbing the walls.
    0 x
    Angelina.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Sue!

I haven't seen you here before- great to have you on board I am curious to know- what is your story? How did you come across this website? I love how you used the metaphor of "climbing the walls", like on 'exorcist' haha.

I can completely relate to having other activities in place that occupy time and headspace. I have noticed that some personalities require spontaneous very intense activities to meet their needs, and others require more long-term, goal oriented, and skill based work.

This is a quote I have copied and pasted from elsewhere. I think it sums up what many of you have mentioned elsewhere really well:

"Natural highs are good feelings that come from the healthy things we do to make us feel happy, energetic and fulfilled. These ‘highs' don't involve using chemicals or gambling. Physical activity is one example of a natural high that causes the body to feel good.

Remember, these activities won't necessarily give you the same feelings you got from gambling. Feeling good about yourself through natural highs is a start though and an important step in helping you achieve your personal goals."

Warm regards

Angelina
    0 x
    AmandaB

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

I notice that I am keeping in contact with people more now. I used to ignore people when they rang when I was at the club. I didn't want people to know I was there and that I would be there all night.

I need to plan some things to do during weekdays as work by itself is too much without a breaker such as movie or dinner with a friend. Hoping to find someone to walk and talk with as that has been rewarding in the past.

Finding it difficult with limited internet access as I would download movie series and watch them all in a weekend, more escapist behaviour I know

In a bit of limbo land, my mortgage money has been conditionally approved (luckily I had a month of bank statement to show with no repetitive withdrawals from the rsl club). I am renting a bedroom so just clothes with me, everything in storage, waiting to find a house that's cheap enough for me to afford.

When I move I can do gardening and cooking again and have friends round again which I miss.
    0 x
    Angelina.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Dear Amanda (and everyone),

Thank you for your reply here and elsewhere

I noticed you mentioned that you had been in contact with others. Is this because you are feeling more confident in yourself? Have you found it helpful to reach out to your friends and loved ones?

Yes, nothing wrong with downloading movies or series! We all need an escape from time to time, as long as you are getting your 30 mins of daily exercise

That sounds wonderful Amanda, setting up your own house. What is the progress so far?

Warm regards

Angelina
    0 x
    Kaycee

Sun May 11, 2014 9:42 pm

The best thing to do is to become an activist against the gambling industry. That will keep you busy and active all the time.

Get real, every minute there will be another person falling into this trap.

We have to stop this. You have to stop this...
    0 x
    Sharon1

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:54 pm

I don't know how to create post but this helping me. Book will say five days but I am at seven and ok not liking it but ok
    0 x
    Natilus

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm

This is an awesome topic. Activities to do, instead of gambling.

There are many good suggestions being made and some ppl sound like they've been useful.

Volunteering might be an option for some.

It's purposeful, can assist with using up some allocated time.

Can often be a pleasant social outlet.

Looks good on a resume

I tried playing online games but for me, they were a little too close to gambling. For me, I needed to try something that I hadn't tried before, something that I could engage in, something that rewarded me and that was as far removed from gambling as possible.

For me it was doing lawn mowing for ppl.

Making myself go for a run when I didn't feel like it wasn't appealing and when I made myself do it I felt more pain that reward.

0 x
    Dave68

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 pm

For me, playing this word game similar to Boggle has helped a lot. Discovered this site 'Puzzle Baron' around the time i stopped in mid April, and i am quite hooked trying to better my word scores! It's free to play, and it has helped me stay pokie free since early April, so approaching 4 months now.

Thankfully i've even lost the desire to even watch pokie wins, i'd often check out youtube videos of winning spins, but recently even those have just gone bye-the-bye. It's a bit stupid in one sense....took me 15 years to see the light, but i reckon i can continue staying off the pokies and hopefully one day begin to rebuild my shattered financial situation.
    0 x
    Keeton

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:15 pm

things that help me is

Exercising

Going to the library

Playing games

Watching movies

Reading books

Shopping
    0 x
    Phoenix

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 am

Doug I was just reading what you said about being a bit of a day dreamer, vague type who needs to keep your mind occupied and a few of the others agreed they have this same trait and also added that repetitive tasks especially appeal.... I have to say this is exactly how I am also. I wonder how many gamblers fit this profile? We might all have a brain thing that makes us susceptible to gambling? If so I hope they come up with a pill to cure us!

I find commenting on Newspaper forums about current news is very absorbing and offers somewhat of a challenge if someone else wants to debate. I do agree though that getting away from activities which include the use of modern technology is a very good idea. I for one have wasted enough of my life staring at a screen and a bit of fresh air & sunshine would go a long way to help my recovery... which unfortunately is at day one again.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”