Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Before you can post or reply, join our online community today.
    Join us Tuesday from 6pm for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Activities to do instead of gambling!

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Loui

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 am

Just will add to my "I play chess online" reply. I do not gamble online and have never had a desire to gamble online, find the sites etc.

It is because I don't trust online, even a bit hesitant about using eBay etc for the same reason. Strange isn't it, I am very concerned about losing money online, yet would walk into a Pokies venue and lose, lose, lose. When I lost $140 on Day 7 of the Challenge, first of all I won $54, then put it back until I lost $140. I left with just enough money to see me through food until Payday.

Fortunately all bills were paid the minute I got my money. I cannot risk having money around. So have planned where it will all go next Pay - am holidaying in Tugun for 7 weeks winter and need to pay in advance. Owe them only $1100 now, so any extra money from budget will go to this or car repairs as soon as I get it - leaving only enough money for food Week 2 of the Pay Period. Oh how the mighty have fallen - I used to be a millionairess when I was young. Fortunately I did not gamble then as Pokies were only in NSW. Money was lost in the normal cause of business. Guess I haven't been the same since, but not admitted it.

As for now, electricity, health insurance, phone are paid a few months in advance. Pretty tough when you worry about keeping money in the bank!
    0 x
    ansert

Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Our stories are so similar Loui, I didn't gamble ''back in the day'' but also lost over 500k through business, including my beautiful house So I guess it was gambling, just a different form.

It was the stress of this period that led to the gambling growing and of course that just made everything worse and lost me the last money I got from the house and business, so it's budget city here these days, gone are the times I'd spend what I like without thinking, sometimes it's a struggle for food until our pays come in, and the last debt I have is Credit cards, mostly from the gambling

So for this old chook it's hard work for at least the next 5 years to establish some sort of security. We earn very good money but it goes straight out paying debts, if I think about it too much I want to jump off a bridge so I just get on with it and look forward to the day when we are at least debt free, and can start saving.
    0 x
    Loui

Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am

I know exactly how you feel Ansert ! You are making a good go of it. Do an analysis re' paying off the credit cards. Can you keep transferring and paying little or no interest? I love excellent clothes, but have started shopping for some things at BigW ( better material than Target). I mix and match so that it is not too obvious. Good designer clothes mixed with BigW white jeans - you would not know the difference! Also I have negotiated a long stay rate at a beutiful Resort in Tugn - quiter than Surfers and right on the beach. Once I would have paid in a night what I pay for a week at this place. You learn to manage. the main thing above all is to accept this, and not to go to the Pokies because you feel down and out, or long for what might have been.

Treasure things like your health and relationships. I feel down when my younger daughter becomes abusive - i have to learn to manage that situation.

Good luck!!
    1 x
    Angelina.

Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks for your words of wisdom Loui- couldn't agree more that health and relationships need to be treasured
    0 x
    Aaren

Fri May 10, 2013 12:07 pm

Good work Popeye, keep it up!!

I chose to study!! It keeps me busy and im working to improve my career and future!

Otherwise i would say take yourself away from technology - it makes it all too easy to gamble!! Do something completely new and exciting
    0 x
    BriM

Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Aaren (10/05/2013)Good work Popeye, keep it up!!

I chose to study!! It keeps me busy and im working to improve my career and future!

Otherwise i would say take yourself away from technology - it makes it all too easy to gamble!! Do something completely new and exciting
    Agreed, Aaren, keeps your mind busy. What are you studying?
    0 x
    Aaren

Fri May 17, 2013 1:56 pm

Im doing a Masters in Environmental Management!

I think it came around at the right time, its good to have a goal to aim towards, really encourages moving onwards and away from the troubles of the past....
    0 x
    BriM

Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Aaren (17/05/2013)Im doing a Masters in Environmental Management!

I think it came around at the right time, its good to have a goal to aim towards, really encourages moving onwards and away from the troubles of the past....
    Sweet! What prompted the choice to go green? Do you have a particular environmental focus? Or are we talking environments more broadly (i.e. urban environments etc)..
    Sounds really interesting. I've finished up at uni but miss the stimulation somewhat! be interested to hear more about what you're doing/learning...
    Bri
    0 x
    ChandlerBing

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

If you have a creative side and enjoy discovery then look into photography it's one awesome hobby it can take you places you didn't think existed or you would end up and can keep you really busy, as its not all about taking photos its about editing them, retouching presenting them to friends and family.
    1 x
    Angelina.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:59 am

Hi 'ChandlerBing',

I dont think I have seen you around...just wanted to warmly welcome you to the gambling help online forum

Hope to hear more from you,

Warm regards,

Angelina
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”