Activities to do instead of gambling!

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

RE: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Postby Angelina. » Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks for your words of wisdom Loui- couldn't agree more that health and relationships need to be treasured
Angelina.

Postby Loui » Thu May 02, 2013 12:22 am

I know exactly how you feel Ansert ! You are making a good go of it. Do an analysis re' paying off the credit cards. Can you keep transferring and paying little or no interest? I love excellent clothes, but have started shopping for some things at BigW ( better material than Target). I mix and match so that it is not too obvious. Good designer clothes mixed with BigW white jeans - you would not know the difference! Also I have negotiated a long stay rate at a beutiful Resort in Tugn - quiter than Surfers and right on the beach. Once I would have paid in a night what I pay for a week at this place. You learn to manage. the main thing above all is to accept this, and not to go to the Pokies because you feel down and out, or long for what might have been.

Treasure things like your health and relationships. I feel down when my younger daughter becomes abusive - i have to learn to manage that situation.

Good luck!!
Loui

Postby ansert » Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Our stories are so similar Loui, I didn't gamble ''back in the day'' but also lost over 500k through business, including my beautiful house So I guess it was gambling, just a different form.

It was the stress of this period that led to the gambling growing and of course that just made everything worse and lost me the last money I got from the house and business, so it's budget city here these days, gone are the times I'd spend what I like without thinking, sometimes it's a struggle for food until our pays come in, and the last debt I have is Credit cards, mostly from the gambling

So for this old chook it's hard work for at least the next 5 years to establish some sort of security. We earn very good money but it goes straight out paying debts, if I think about it too much I want to jump off a bridge so I just get on with it and look forward to the day when we are at least debt free, and can start saving.
ansert

Postby Loui » Wed May 01, 2013 11:27 am

Just will add to my "I play chess online" reply. I do not gamble online and have never had a desire to gamble online, find the sites etc.

It is because I don't trust online, even a bit hesitant about using eBay etc for the same reason. Strange isn't it, I am very concerned about losing money online, yet would walk into a Pokies venue and lose, lose, lose. When I lost $140 on Day 7 of the Challenge, first of all I won $54, then put it back until I lost $140. I left with just enough money to see me through food until Payday.

Fortunately all bills were paid the minute I got my money. I cannot risk having money around. So have planned where it will all go next Pay - am holidaying in Tugun for 7 weeks winter and need to pay in advance. Owe them only $1100 now, so any extra money from budget will go to this or car repairs as soon as I get it - leaving only enough money for food Week 2 of the Pay Period. Oh how the mighty have fallen - I used to be a millionairess when I was young. Fortunately I did not gamble then as Pokies were only in NSW. Money was lost in the normal cause of business. Guess I haven't been the same since, but not admitted it.

As for now, electricity, health insurance, phone are paid a few months in advance. Pretty tough when you worry about keeping money in the bank!
Loui

Postby Loui » Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am

I pay chess online. Also Sudoku. chess site is "Play free flash chess against the computer". another game is Bejeweled, and you can spend hours on this one.
Loui

Postby BriM » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Chris2 (3/04/2013)Hi everyone its chris here. I havent posted in a while as I have been focussed on putting into practice some of the small goals , practical and emotional in my own recovery from pokies gambling. Its been over four months and going well. As I posted previously I self excluded from my local club which was the best thing I have done. More importantly I set small goals for myself, month to month. My goals initially were to support myself in believing that I can rise above this problem and I broke it down to even smaller goals of not coming down on myself as we do; but rather continually reinforce to myself that each relapse was a just another lesson to make me stronger on my road to recovery. I read alot especially online. I met with a cousellor for eight sessions over three months face to face. This was free and part of a research clinic on gambling at a university. I found this of great help as the conversation was only about my gambling and listening to myself talk helped me get out of my own head. Ofcourse this forum has helped me continue the road to recovery in all its facets.

What did I replace gambling with? Hmm lets see..I began reaching out again to an old friend who I havent seen for a while. This person had there own issues I didnt want to deal with before but I decided to practice a few virtues in my life more like patience, listening and rediscovering what loving oneself and others really means.I placed my focus on relaxing and enjoying the process for a change and learning to love life again in other ways and having a laugh. I have been spending my money (much less of it! than before) on enjoying regular feel good things like massages, and a nice dinner out and dessert. Things like that.

Patience with yourself, replacing gambling with feelgood options that invest in you and put a smile on your face before you sleep at night is what you can do and it does feel good guys! Take care

chris

Hi Chris, so nice to hear from you. Congrats on making it to four months, that's an incredible effort. Yes, I think sometimes when life gets to us we forget how to be good to ourselves. I've found that doing things like yoga, meditation, eating healthily, going out for a really nice meal and hanging out with friends really changes my mindset when I'm feeling a bit blue - I feel like I'm being good to myself Thanks for keeping us updated! Looking forward to seeing you back here soon . Bri
BriM

Postby POPEYE » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 am

Last edited by POPEYE on Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POPEYE

Postby Chris2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi everyone its chris here. I havent posted in a while as I have been focussed on putting into practice some of the small goals , practical and emotional in my own recovery from pokies gambling. Its been over four months and going well. As I posted previously I self excluded from my local club which was the best thing I have done. More importantly I set small goals for myself, month to month. My goals initially were to support myself in believing that I can rise above this problem and I broke it down to even smaller goals of not coming down on myself as we do; but rather continually reinforce to myself that each relapse was a just another lesson to make me stronger on my road to recovery. I read alot especially online. I met with a cousellor for eight sessions over three months face to face. This was free and part of a research clinic on gambling at a university. I found this of great help as the conversation was only about my gambling and listening to myself talk helped me get out of my own head. Ofcourse this forum has helped me continue the road to recovery in all its facets.

What did I replace gambling with? Hmm lets see..I began reaching out again to an old friend who I havent seen for a while. This person had there own issues I didnt want to deal with before but I decided to practice a few virtues in my life more like patience, listening and rediscovering what loving oneself and others really means.I placed my focus on relaxing and enjoying the process for a change and learning to love life again in other ways and having a laugh. I have been spending my money (much less of it! than before) on enjoying regular feel good things like massages, and a nice dinner out and dessert. Things like that.

Patience with yourself, replacing gambling with feelgood options that invest in you and put a smile on your face before you sleep at night is what you can do and it does feel good guys! Take care

chris
Chris2

Postby ansert » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Upload a picture of your baby!
ansert

Postby ansert » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:45 pm

That was such a great idea Popeye, I recently got a new kitten, and even though I have a couple of other cats he is such a funny baby he keeps me really entertained, but a puppy is better because they need a lot more care, good one!

Apart from being on holidays or being ill I think this is the longest I have gone without heading to the pokies in a few years, I am heading back to an adult dance class this week which used to be my passion, so we'll see how that goes since I need to lose weight as well!
ansert

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies for Change