Activities to do instead of gambling!

What are some strategies when trying to quit or cut down? What works for you?

Re: Activities to do instead of gambling!

Postby Shapied » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:49 am

I prefer to play music instruments. I have already learn the guitar and recently started to play the piano. It makes me very happy, when i try to play my favourite songs.
Shapied

Postby Mona58 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 am

Normal is good! Better than good! Its greatl

I'd be bored with just books and crosswords. If I were younger... I'd go sky-diving again! Or water-skiing... or Rock climbing... or,... dancesport... or.....Oh don't make me feel old! .. Today I can find thrill seeing red juicy strawberries on the vine in the morning and get to them before The birds do! . Thrilling to be able to touch my little card to a machine and pay for things I find and want,

Stay strong Over punting... go out and enjoy life!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.~Confucius
Mona58

Postby Jeddie » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:09 am

Oh Over Punting, you are so right but also so wrong. I wonder what has happened for you to post that? I am 113 days gf amd miss the pokies nearly every day. Sure the thrill of winning has gone but the peaceful easier life is here. Let’s face it we don’t win that often.
I dont want to go and experience the dreadful lows that we nearly always have for the thrill of winning that rarely happens.
Talk to us some more today. Where are you at with your stopping?
Last edited by Jeddie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN GAMBLING THE MANY MUST LOSE IN ORDER THAT THE FEW MAY WIN
George Bernard Shaw
Jeddie

Postby Over punting » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:59 pm

Nothing will top the thrill of gambling. Let’s be honest. If we think crosswords and books will give the same buzz you are dreaming. The reality is with no gambling means we come crashing down to earth like normal people and need to just try and learn to enjoy the basics.
Over punting

Postby Maro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Im finding it really hard to remember what i enjoy doing it feels like i haven't donw anything else for ages I need to remember what I love
Maro

Postby Shirley (facilitator) » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Excellent ideas everyone!

Don't forget to carve out some time in your day for self care too. Even 20 minutes where you might read a book, listen to relaxing music, take a hot bath / shower, colour in, go for a walk, make a nice meal, paint, draw, dance, create, knit, walk the dog, pet the cat, get your hair done - there are so many ideas and the point is we all need to make ourselves a priority.

Regards,

Shirley
Shirley (facilitator)

Postby jimi68 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Maybe volunteer for the RSPCA, or The Salvos,
or something like that.
jimi68

Postby jimi68 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:00 pm

just been reading through some of these posts.
so many good ideas...
I used to play pokies as a substitute for going out .
I thought I was socializing.
A way for an introvert to feel like there out there.
After reading here I decided to break it into 2 categories

1.things to do instead when I'm by myself (which is most of the time)

2.things I can add to get me out there involved with others.

ill probably have more ones than twos
but that's ok.

right now my playstation is king.
jimi68

Postby blastoise (facilitator) » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi Pat23,

You raise a really good point actually, and something that often needs to be explored before one can know how to effectively manage urges! I would consider two parts when answering you:

1. What is my motivation to gamble - you mentioned stress...is it a way to escape these other things that consume a lot of your time?

2. What do you think are your urges to gamble? - I often ask people to separate them into two groups:

Internal - what are the thoughts and feelings that trigger you to gamble? - Thoughts are things like "I deserve it", "Just one game" etc, the things you tell yourself, even though they may sound ridiculous! The second part is feelings - what emotions do you find that trigger your gambling? Feelings of sadness, anger, anxiety, boredom, happiness etc?

External - what are the things that occur in the environment around you that may lead you to gamble? Some examples are: certain people, payday etc

Write down some ideas, and see what you have. Your answers will help you to know what triggers you need to work on (with some help of course!)
Feel free to inbox/PM me if you need to, there are some telephone counselling services depending on what state you live in.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Regards,
Blastoise
blastoise (facilitator)

Postby Pat23 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Hey guys I have plenty of things to keep me busy eg 2year old border Collie Gardening business my problem is my thoughts and feelings that come with them I use gambling to escape my mind and feelings or stress any suggestions?
Pat23

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies for Change