Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Moving forward

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    yep123

Re: Moving forward

Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:29 pm

Hi @sherpa09 (facilitator)

Thank you for your kind words.
    How much shame is someone meant to have though. I am so weak atm, I have really made my life difficult when it should be the best time of my life.
    I just don't understand why I have done this to my life. I had every opportunity to make my life so good.

I hope I can get back to the good times. I just know this time, even when my life is good, I need to be extra careful, because that's when my re lapses are happening, when life good.
    1 x
    Printemps

Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:00 am

heya @yep123 I understand what you're saying around how much shame doses one person have to feel, it is overwhelming.

But by ruminating over those feelings and beating yourself up it can be really hard to move forward. As @sherpa09 (facilitator) says it's important to be kind to ourselves to allow ourselves to move forward. Reflecting on why you've made certain choices is important, but it is also important to recognise that we can't undo the past

How have you you been the past few days?
    0 x
    yep123

Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:59 pm

Hey @Printemps ,

I'm trying my best to stop thinking about my mistakes, however it is so hard.
    Last couple.of days just trying to stay busy with work. Still feeling pretty flat, I just want to move on, however so hard.
    0 x
    Printemps

Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:43 pm

@yep123 it is really difficult to move on from our mistakes, what is something you normally do to help cheer you up when you're feeling flat?
    0 x
    yep123

Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:01 pm

Hey @Printemps

It is, something fun with my partner like the theme parks or going out to watch the football.

All these things cost money, so I do it and I feel so guilty. I have a good job so I can do it but just feel so guilty.
    0 x
    JinxyWolf

Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi @yep123

I know it is hard but try not to let those feelings keep you down. You have already taken huge strides towards becoming the person you want to be, so don't forget that.
    It is easy to dwell on past mistakes, but just remember to give yourself a pat on the back whenever you reach a goal. Whether that be to go a day without gambling or just an hour. Those achievement deserve to be recognized because each of those achievements are milestones/stepping stones on your journey.

Stay Strong and Be Well

JinxyWolf
    2 x
    yep123

Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:23 am

Hey @JinxyWolf

Thank you for your kind words. Finding it hard not to dwell. But you are right, I am moving forward, not going backwards right now, so I do need to be thankful for that.
    1 x
    Printemps

Fri May 20, 2022 8:23 am

heya @yep123 how have you been?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”