Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • We are down bad

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    DaveOCE

We are down bad

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:06 am

So, im 23 and living at home, my relationship with gambling started when i was in university with a bunch of people I met through the university clubs. At the time it was controlled unit betting all very strategic and ended up making quite a lot of money. Unfortunately as time went on and i graduated I started to deviate from my safe practices and became reckless and careless. I became depressed not really wanting to go into the career path that i graduated with. I ended up blowing through all the winnings and then had the belief that i could make it back as an addiction tends to do. During this time i lost touch with a lot of people i used to talk to and became secluded and focused on just trying to make back an amount of money that deep down i knew i never could. Eventually it became enough that i broke down to my parents stating that i was struggling and that i would quit, i also enlisted my brother for aid in me controlling myself and my funds. Hence concludes what i would say was my first phase.

Second phase began about 2 months later, thought that since i had taken a short break it would be fine. I ended up winning and thought that all was fine and dandy. Few more weeks pass and then we start tanking losses again and again, we start losing big time and i state to my brother to start taking my paycheques and moving it into a separate account as i seek help and try to recover my mental health. I reached out to an online counsellor who referred me to a program that would help me and said she would be in contact in accouple of weeks. A few weeks go by and i get contacted only to be told the previous operator who enlisted me in the program thought my address was one that matched from another state and was told she could not help me nor refer me to anyone else. Not wanting to go through another waiting period i went to my local GP with my troubles. I was referred to a therapist who would cost me a hefty hourly price. After my first session which was a week later i felt better but said it would be a long process and the hourly fees kinda weighed on my mind as i wasnt in a great place financially. At this point i made barriers and tried to put things like sticky notes on my desktop to remind me never to gamble again. Regardless, a paycheque comes in that my brother, being a busy guy, didnt take out and i ended up gambling as soon as it came and overall succumbing to my addiction again. After losing it my brother seeing the loss obviously reported it to my parents who this time came down quite strictly and now treat me like a child. I get it, i have problems but to limit my freedoms and try to rein in the leash on me is just not helping. I have started gambling again recently and now im really down bad, there is no real system that i could find to get me the help i need and I just feel lost. Even typing these paragraphs ive skipped over a lot of details as this is the last thing i really want to do at 3AM. I think that its definitely something that needs fixing and just writing here is a method of reflection for myself and if anyone has proper places that can help and not financially cripple me more that would be pretty nice. Other then that have a good one, enjoy reading a brief summary of my case.
    1 x
    Judes

Re: We are down bad

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm

@DaveOCE I have found this forum to be really supportive and has enabled me to put on paper and out there into the world exactly what is happening with me - without judgement. There is also the 1800 number I believe you can call at anytime if you need to. Giving up gambling is one of the most difficult things I have ever attempted and I have relapsed several times over the past 8 years. I also find that after each relapse I was betting bigger and losing so much more - and got to the point where I could not walk away no matter how much I won! I am currently on Day#17 and feeling pretty good at this stage - but I won’t say it is easy! I lost several $000 on New Years Eve and walked away feeling really desolate as most of that money was so I could go visit my family interstate who I had t seen for 3 years! It was a bit of a wake up call for me! Hope you find the help you are looking for!
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”