Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Don’t know where to begin …

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    Clifferd619

Don’t know where to begin …

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:03 pm

I am just completely lost for words…I have been a “casual” punter for a couple years I guess you could say, but sadly I badly injured my leg and have since now been off work for a few months with no pay.

Not being able to earn an income and being completely helpless about it drove me nuts. I was told to live off my savings and sadly I fell into the trap of gambling. Low and behold…2 months later I blew $10000’s of dollars and am now at complete rock bottom.

As problem gamblers you can probably relate to not being able to stop. Well I made a plea with the bookmaker to perm exclude my account. (I am already perm self excluded from most bookies barring 1 or 2 I think)They temporarily closed my account, and I thought fair enough, I’ll take a break. 1 week later…I re-opened my account and relapsed heavily. My mental state is at an all time low and feel if I didn’t have the option to reopen my account none of this mess happens.

Am I wrong in assuming the bookmaker did nothing to stop me from gambling irresponsibly?
    0 x
    Printemps

Re: Don’t know where to begin …

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:14 pm

hey @Clifferd619 I want to start of by saying welcome to the forum and thank you or sharing your story. It sounds like the past few months have been incredibly difficult, so I'm really glad that you reached out for support.

You 100% did the right thing in getting yourself excluded and trying to put a pause on your account at the bookmakers, however, unfortunately it is their business to make a profit from gambling. I would lean towards saying you're not wrong in thinking that. Self exclusions of any kind are fickle like that as they aren't legally binding and if the venue/bookmaker doesn't uphold them, it can be hard for people.

I'm wondering if you've reached out for support before and spoken to a gambling or financial counsellor previously?

I'll tag some other members who may have some advice on how they have manged urges as well

@pamela @Damaged_Armour @Dr.Semaj @Menz199 @yep123

Check back in with us and let us know how you're going
    0 x
    Clifferd619

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Printemps wrote:
    Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:14 pm
    hey @Clifferd619 I want to start of by saying welcome to the forum and thank you or sharing your story. It sounds like the past few months have been incredibly difficult, so I'm really glad that you reached out for support.

You 100% did the right thing in getting yourself excluded and trying to put a pause on your account at the bookmakers, however, unfortunately it is their business to make a profit from gambling. I would lean towards saying you're not wrong in thinking that. Self exclusions of any kind are fickle like that as they aren't legally binding and if the venue/bookmaker doesn't uphold them, it can be hard for people.

I'm wondering if you've reached out for support before and spoken to a gambling or financial counsellor previously?

I'll tag some other members who may have some advice on how they have manged urges as well

@pamela @Damaged_Armour @Dr.Semaj @Menz199 @yep123

Check back in with us and let us know how you're going
    Yep you are definitely correct in saying it is their business to make profit

However I feel it is pretty bad to watch someone willingly drain their bank account whilst doing nothing about it … surely seeing 20+ deposits in a day, 60+ bets is concerning?

As someone who struggles with addiction I find it hard to just “stop”, even though it sounds like the easiest thing to do
    0 x
    Clifferd619

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:31 pm

Also yes to add to that, I am currently seeking help
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:26 pm

@Clifferd619 It is an awful and cynical thing. I completely agree with you, I think that this is one of the major issues is that profit is placed before people's well being.

While self exclusion isn't a legally binding process, if you feel that the venue hasn't done there bit in upholding the process you can contact your states Gambling and Liquor body, they generally have a complaints form regarding the process.

It's great to hear that you've got support as well as being here on the forums. It sounds like you're taking really good steps to make some changes now.

You're right on that final point, it does feel like just stopping should be easy. But gambling is set up to draw you back in, and that makes it hard. Do you have techniques you use when the urges hit?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”