Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Success Stories

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    yep123

Re: Success Stories

Sat May 15, 2021 9:41 am

Hi All,

i cannot wait till the day i can post on the success stories! i am day 1, i am feeling emotionally drained, heartbroken and worthless.

I had a relapse yesterday after 8 months, i really do not want this in my life anymore and want to be happy.
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 15, 2021 11:18 am

Hey @yep123 ,

I just want to start off by saying congratulations on reaching out, it takes a lot of strength to do so, especially after a relapse, so good on you. Relapses are really hard, but they are a really common aspect of recovery. The important thing right now is to be kind to yourself and keep in mind that you've gotten to 8 months already, so you know you can do it again and keep going beyond that! What techniques have you been using up to now? There are some good tips and techniques on the blog, https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/blog , which I would recommend checking out.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, just remember, one day at a time.
    0 x
    yep123

Sat May 15, 2021 11:39 am

Thank you for your reply.

I really do have to be kind to myself, as the last 24 hours i have not been, really doubting my worth and how i could be so silly in such a short amount of time. With months and months of hard earn't cash.

I have done it before, so i can do it again.

I have been staying busy, that is how i have survived the last 8 months, i got a second job after the first big gambling. And when the urges did come to me. I stopped and thought about how sad and miserable i was and how i hurt my family etc. It did not work this time, however i now know i need to go for walks and be distracted when the urges to gamble arrive. And when i do have urges again, i need to make sure there are things in place like gamban etc, no eftpos cards.

I am glad to hear that relapse are normal to, i wish it didn't happen, i wish i learnt the first time. I don't want to go through this pain again, i don't deserve it.
    0 x
    yep123

Sat May 15, 2021 11:47 am

Thank you for your reply.

I really do have to be kind to myself, as the last 24 hours i have not been, really doubting my worth and how i could be so silly in such a short amount of time. With months and months of hard earn't cash.

I have done it before, so i can do it again.

I have been staying busy, that is how i have survived the last 8 months, i got a second job after the first big gambling. And when the urges did come to me. I stopped and thought about how sad and miserable i was and how i hurt my family etc. It did not work this time, however i now know i need to go for walks and be distracted when the urges to gamble arrive. And when i do have urges again, i need to make sure there are things in place like gamban etc, no eftpos cards.

I am glad to hear that relapse are normal to, i wish it didn't happen, i wish i learnt the first time. I don't want to go through this pain again, i don't deserve it.
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 15, 2021 12:04 pm

@yep123 , you don't deserve this, but remember you're not alone. It might be useful to look at the relapse as a new learning experience, and it seems like you already have. As you said, you now know what you need to do when urges strike, and you've got all these new techniques in place. It is incredibly frustrating to see how quickly money can go, but now you've set yourself up even better than before.

What are you going to do this weekend to look after yourself?
    0 x
    yep123

Sat May 15, 2021 12:16 pm

Hi @Printemps ,

Hopefully i don't go through this again, the worst thing now is i keep re playing over and over in my head. The hurt i have caused and the money i have lost, i keep thinking i could of used that money for something much better, how do i train my brain to just move forward? how can i stop thinking about it and move on?

Tonight i am working, i am very tired as i have not had much sleep, i have not eaten as my body still feels sick from yesterday. Are these all normal re actions after a lapse?
    0 x
    Printemps

Sat May 15, 2021 12:36 pm

@yep123 , it can be really difficult getting out of these negative thought patterns. often the most important thing is distracting yourself to help break the cycle. Going to work is a good hting, Im sorry to hear you didn't sleep well lat night, but I would really recommenced that you have something to eat if you feel up to it. Just to make sure you have energy for the day. Also it's important to nourish yourself to make sure you have the strength to keep going.

I would really recommenced calling Gambling Help on 1800 858 858. The counsellors are really good and are able to give you more techniques to help.
    0 x
    Danny

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:24 pm

I would like to share my experience here. I came here 6 years ago asking for help. I was 27 yo and i lost everything. Money, time, career , family. Thats when I called the counsellor and started the 100 days challenge. It was a success as I went 6 months without gambling. Things were better, i slowly build up the trust of my families again. Debts were slowly paid off. And then i had a relapse. Debts were even higher this time. All the hard work in 6 months were wiped off. I would probably need 15-20 years to pay off my debts. This is when I really said enough is enough. The hard work of 6 months just got wiped off and debts were at an all time high. I switched off and take 1 step at a time. I cut off all connection with my debtors and I found a job. I took care of myself first. I reward myself for staying off gambling with nice food once in a while, small travel. The extras money I had saved went to my debtors. The urge of gambling is gone. I had been a compulsive gbler for more than 17 years. My life is normal again somehow, just with alot of debts. Things were getting better , people start to appreciate my hard work and trustworthy again. I put all my effort in my career and it got better. I got better pay after 2 years. Debts were slowly getting chipped off while I save some for my business adventure. I started my business 2.5 years ago. The 1st year was tough. I didnt repay my debts rather the money went to my business. Business started picking up 1.5 years ago , while COVID slowed things down the business is still manageable. I started to reconstructed my debts again a year ago. At the rate debts will be fully paid off in 2 years time.

We had to start somewhere. Initially i lost all hope. It would have taken me close to 50 yo to settle just the debts. I am glad I managed to take the step forward and things are looking good. Keep knocking on the door and we will be able to move on from gambling. I had my family and ex partner came back to me after seeing the changes in me.

Make sure to reward yourself during the period, remind urself this is what you will get if you get away from gambling. If i can do it, you can do it
    1 x
    Jimap

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:05 am

Hi @Danny
    Well done you should be proud of yourself and the work you have done to get your life back. Happy for you that your family has returned. Keep going strong👍
    1 x
    Printemps

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am

heya @Danny thank you so much for sharing your story, it sounds like you worked incredibly hard and have been able to get on top of the debts, and get your life to a good place!

I love what you've said, it is so important to be kind to yourself, especially with everything that is going on currently! Keep on keeping on, your story is going to be so important to so many people :o
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”