Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Just took a month break

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    ryan1019

Just took a month break

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:19 pm

Just a activated on my betting apps a month break and blocked debit cards affiliated with it for a start. Also deleted bws app, been drinking more and feel it’s afflicted with gambling it’s certainly not easy.
    1 x
    Kevcollingwood

Re: Just took a month break

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:10 pm

@ryan1019 good on you Ryan, 10th year without a drink here mate, they do not go together, hope you can get on top of both, stay strong.
    2 x
    pamela

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:53 am

Well done Ryan..taking those first few steps are the hardest..dont give up or in..be determined and you can do this
    2 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi @ryan1019,

Congratulations, that's a big step! Good on you!

Yes, drinking and gambling can be a tricky combo. Don't know if you're aware of this number, but you can call the phone counsellors for free 24/7 on 1800 858 858.

Keep us posted on how you go. We're here for you! :);
    0 x
    ryan1019

Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:57 pm

Yeah thanks went off the apps but went off the rails and did the slots lost a few k its like falling down steps and climbing back up. Said to myself don’t want to go into the city for a while feel stupid and working hard all my life the ruining effect effect many in here.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Hey @ryan1019,

How are you going? I'm so sorry to hear how you're feeling after going "off the rails"... this journey can be a rollercoaster and slips are part of the process. But please remember that doesn't mean or make you stupid, all it means is you're human.

Sounds like you had a gut feeling about what was going to happen if going to the city. Can you tell us a bit more about what was going through your mind during that internal debate? I'm wondering if you can identify some of those thoughts. Urges and triggers are going to pop-up along the way, the only way to get better at dealing with them is preparing ourselves beforehand and learning from our past experiences.

I know it's easier said than done but hope you can try to be kind to yourself.
    0 x
    ryan1019

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Just an escape and my thoughts retriggered what i have been used to going out, my purpose mainly was a dental appointment in the city. Iv nearly run out of funds and work very hard in my job so low on funds is a blocker from going out from previous instances. Then i have an empty feeling and feel worthless at times as many have some sort of savings or many assets while i battle along. Reading other posts take day by day and weekends for me when ill have to control.
    0 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Hey @ryan1019,

I see. From what you're saying, sounds like being low on funds and comparing yourself to other people are both triggers for you. I can understand how distressing it must be running out of funds. May I suggest you have a look at a website called Ask Izzy, where you can find all sorts of support services in your local area. For example, food. Hope you find this resource useful.

Have you ever used the Gambling Help Online phone number before? It can be a great tool to have at hands, especially in those very triggering moments. The number is 1800 858 858. You can chat with the phone counsellors about feeling worthless at times... I know not comparing to others can be hard and maybe even almost impossible at times, but every person's story is different and we have no idea of the story behind why another person may have more assets than us.

Keep us posted, we're here for you!
    0 x
    ryan1019

Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Thanks for your reply will look. How ironic at my work its been said im the go to man, living on a whim in a fast based industry
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”