Welcome to our online peer support community - A supportive place for anyone making change in their gambling, as well as concerned friends and family.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally monitored. Free of judgement.

To join the discussion, sign up today.
    Join us Tuesdays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Chatty Tuesday.
  • Quitting Pokies

For people making and maintaining change in their gambling. Connect, ask questions, offer advice, and share your story in here. If you are new to the site drop in and say hello!
    David

Quitting Pokies

Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi all,
    I am new here and I would really like to hear from people who have had success in quitting pokies as it has seriously taken over my life
    1 x
    Lovely Cat Lady

Re: Quitting Pokies

Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm

Hi @David,

Welcome to the forums! You've come to the right place to find some useful information and the support of the community.

I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling with quitting pokies. I recommend you have a look at the Success Stories discussion. Some of our senior members like @JinxyWolf, @FamilyFirst or @pamela might be able to share with you their stories. :);

You might also find useful having a look at the Understanding gambling section.

If you feel like you need to speak to someone, you can call one of our counsellors for free 24/7 on 1800 858 858.

Please reach out at anytime, we're here for you.
    1 x
    David

Sun May 16, 2021 6:53 pm

It would be great to hear from @JinxyWolf, @FamilyFirst or @pamela to hear about any strategies that worked for quitting the pokies
    1 x
    AGHS

Tue May 18, 2021 10:53 am

Hi David, you have taken your first step to quit pokies in recognising that it is a problem and you want to do something about it. No-one will ever tell you that quitting any addictive behaviour is easy but it can and has been done. Have you tried self exclusion from all venues around you or put blocks on your phone...not sure what method you are using. Talking to those close around you about your gambling also puts it our there, you make yourself more accountable rather than hiding it...which gamblers do very very well I might add. Speaking to a gambling help service such as 1800 858 858 would also be beneficial as they will help you to understand the reasons why you gamble........we often don't think that our past experiences can lead us to gamble. Gambling harm is not just about money, it is about your time, friendships, your mental wellbeing, your family, and the list goes on. Remember to take only one day at a time....set yourself an achievable goal such as I will not gamble for one week and work and plan everyday in that week to not gamble. When that week is up, set yourself your next goal. You will get a lot of self talking trying to goad you to go back and gamble, acknowledge the thoughts and then find something else to distract you until the thought goes away. Eventually, as you don't gamble the thoughts, urges will reduce. Keep using this space as a support tool also.
    2 x
    Printemps

Tue May 18, 2021 11:45 am

Hi @AGHS thank you for that advice, it's really in-depth and useful! @David how are you tracking today?
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”